DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some balconies that are coated with metal lath and acrylic modified cement. I remember the brand name of some of the materials used was 'Jet Coating'. We are located in southern california. Is anyone familiar with this brand?

I mention this because I cannot find them anywhere on the internet, and I've heard when maintaining these deck floor coatings it is important to use the procedures and products recommended by the manufacturer.

If I can't find the recommended product, I will probably just wash down the decks and apply some Seal Crete clear seal and hope that works.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,922 Posts
Might have better luck with this in the painting forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jet Coatings

Is located in LA somewhere, i don't think they have any retail stores carrying their stuff. Last time we used Jet Coatings "paint" it looked more like colored water and lasted about as long...

many stores in the OC/LA area carry Life Paint/Life Deck decking, a far superior product to Jet Coatings and many also carry Desert Brand sealers for decks and Magnesite. Again, far superior to Jet Coatings.

Another issue with Jet is their metal lath system is NOT an ICC approved decking product. If you have fire resistant decks/walkways, Jet is not proven to be a Class A roof/deck coating and you may be violating code requirements if you install it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deck expert,

We are stuck with the jet product (the work is done). Do products like desert brand sealers work well enough to maintain a balcony surfaced with jet coatings?
Also which specific stores carry such products? I know hardware stores don't carry it, paint stores don't.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jet Coating

Yes any sealer like life Paints 10 series or Desert Brand's CMFPS will work just fine. Call Life paint and Desert Brand for stores in LA/OC area that carry their products.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Jet Coatings DECKING

Is located in LA somewhere, i don't think they have any retail stores carrying their stuff. Last time we used Jet Coatings "paint" it looked more like colored water and lasted about as long...

many stores in the OC/LA area carry Life Paint/Life Deck decking, a far superior product to Jet Coatings and many also carry Desert Brand sealers for decks and Magnesite. Again, far superior to Jet Coatings.

Another issue with Jet is their metal lath system is NOT an ICC approved decking product. If you have fire resistant decks/walkways, Jet is not proven to be a Class A roof/deck coating and you may be violating code requirements if you install it.

What are some metal lath systems you or others recommend for repairing an old exterior cement deck. We removed some rail posts and need to repair sections.

Jet has EMC - "elasticrete magnesite cement" that can be mixed with Elasticrete latex (a latex modifier) and is supposedly very water resistant. If I were to purchase this for repairing cement decking would that be sufficient with a top coat of paint or water proofer?

I was told by a decking guy that the Jet cement (EMC combined with latex modifier) is sufficient to waterproof

1 - 7 of 7 Posts