DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I have a 19" flat screen TV which I'd like to attach to my wall. I'm going to be getting a VESA mount to do this but I don't know anything about securing heavy objects to walls.

Will I need to use any special screws, or bolts? Will I need to attach the mount to a beam? The wall I'm attaching it to is made of plasterboard I believe. Bricks on the outside.

I apologise if I seem a little amateur, I don't know much about buildings and DIY.

Many thanks for your time,

Gavin

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Hmmm, I'll have to educate myself on a "VESA" mount, as I don't know what those are. But, I have mounted TV's on walls with various mounts, some are high quality, good mounts, and some are just formed sheet metal which I didn't like but the customer had bought them. First, I would not recommend mounting directly to any type of wallboard, be it plasterboard, sheetrock, etc. I just don't trust those wall insert things. I always try to find a stud to mount to. Sometimes the studs don't work out so the mount is centered on a wall or just where the customer wants the TV to be. I have often removed some drywall and added peices of 2x4 between studs to get the mount where the customer wants it. This is not hard to do and the drywall piece removed can be put back in, mudded in, and finished off just fine. Then you will have to paint at least one wall, or maybe it's time to paint the room to freshen up a bit. Good Luck, David

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
This thread got my attention as I will most likely need to do the same in my house. I'll be mounting my TV over the fireplace. Are these mounts fairly standard for big screen LCDs or would I need to wait until I buy my TV before buying the mount and installing it?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The mounts come with the appropriate screws. You just need to find the wall studs and make sure you hit the middle of the wood.
A 19" flat screen TV is less then 20 lbs.
Ron

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
If the studs don't center properly, then I suppose you could screw in a small sheet of plywood then screw the mount to that. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help David. Much appreciated. Im trying to do as little reconstruction work as I can because I live in rented accommodation. But from the sounds of it there is a stud right where I want to put the TV so fingers crossed it means I wont need to put up any additional studs.

By the way a VESA mount is just a standard in TV mounts set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. You've probably fitted many of these and just hadn't realised.

A little off topic, but does anyone know how I can feed an aerial through the wall? The room is upstairs so hopefully I can either leech off my antenna in the loft or attach it to a new one.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Thanks for your help David. Much appreciated. Im trying to do as little reconstruction work as I can because I live in rented accommodation. But from the sounds of it there is a stud right where I want to put the TV so fingers crossed it means I wont need to put up any additional studs.

By the way a VESA mount is just a standard in TV mounts set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. You've probably fitted many of these and just hadn't realised.

A little off topic, but does anyone know how I can feed an aerial through the wall? The room is upstairs so hopefully I can either leech off my antenna in the loft or attach it to a new one.
By, "antenna", do you mean cable or satellite? Regular antenna is not going to work. You can use a splitter to get an additional signal as long as there aren't too many connections in the line. You degrade the signal for every splitter or coupling in the line. If the signal is too weak, the picture will pixelate and freeze.
Ron

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
sevenupcan, (I like that one), I did research on VESA and it appears they are mounts primarily for monitors, but I'm sure they will work for flat screen TV's which is basically a monitor. I'll have to check in the future to see if I'm installing a VESA mount. As far as feeding an "ariel" through a wall? If you are running a wire of any type through a wall, and up into an open space such as an attic or loft, this is an easy one. It sounds as if you have the skills and tools on hand as you are installing your VESA mount. Figure out where you want the box located on the wall, cut out for a "old work" snap-in electrical box. Go straight up the wall and if the ceiling is drywall or plaster you should be able to push a cut metal clothes hanger through the ceiling where it meets the wall directly over the cut out for the box. This is to mark this location from the loft/attic side. Now go into the loft/attic and find the clothes hanger sticking up (hopefully), you should see a board lying flat near where the clothes hanger is sticking up which will be the top plate of the wall where you cut out for the electrical box. Drill a 3/4" hole through the top plate, or the largest hole you can if you can't get 3/4". Attach some type of weighted object that will go through the hole to a long piece of string, lower the string through the hole until there has been enough string to have reached the cut-out for the box and some spare, tie the string off to something. Go back to the cut-out for the box and fish around in the wall to find the string. You now have a way to pull any type of wire, ariel, or whatever up through the wall into the loft/attic. After pulling the wire, pull it through the "old work" electrical box, install the box and secure it. Works for me every time, David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ron,

Thanks for your reply. When I say antenna I really mean ment a bog standard TV ariel. I don't know if it makes a difference that I recieve Freeview, ie a Digital TV arial. However luckily for me I found another TV arial that the previous tenant must have used for the same reason. I might install this in the loft and use this instead. Hope it's capable of recieveing Freeview.

Thanks Thurman for the tip. I'm going to try this out when I get a chance. I might use this method for hiding the AC wire out of site too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts