DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any Siding Pros on here? UPDATED - PIP's

We are in the middle of getting some quotes. We have a 1660 sq ft Colonial with a one-car oversized detached garage.

We got a quote yest for $7000 and that includes labor, all materials, clean-up, etc.

They gave us siding samples and there were three grades. Anyone know about any of them?

Variform
Royal
Crane (this one would be %500 more so we assume better quality than the other two)

Also, this is for 12 ft pieces (not seamless which is 25 ft I think). What is the difference since the width of my home is 32 ft????? Less seams obviously but it still wouldn't be seamless either way. I don't get it.

So we thought that quote was ver low. We have a feeling the other quotes are going to be a bit higher.

I just don't want to go with lower quote just to save money because we want a good job done.

Any info would be great. Thanks!

UPDATED: so we went with the co above and went with the Crane siding for $500 more. It came out great! Below in the last post are some mid-progession pics. We sided right over our old wood siding. I have finished pics but not loaded yet. They even threw in scallops for over the front door and scallops over the garage for free. They did everything I asked and even moved a bunch of chopped wood fro mteh back of the garage so they could side back there.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
the best info i can offer is to DIY! you'll save thousands.
i paid $40.00 a square and that comes to about $240 i spent to side my home.

DM

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap, I assume insallated? I don't think my husband asked! I just thought they put that Tyvek up and then sided. See how much I don't know!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going to assume you are talking about steel siding, given that you mentioned seamless. seamless siding is actually made on site to the lengths needed for the home it is going to be installed on (hence a higher cost) I'm not sure which brand of siding you are being offered, but the main difference in the three will be the thickness of the siding and warranty on the color. The thicker the siding, the more resistant to damage it will be. Color warranties are a good idea, depending on where you live. Since you are talking about "box" siding (it comes in a box), most panels are around 12" for steel (depending on the profile). The price is tough to guess at without knowing where you live, and how many square of siding your house will need(plus site access, how "cut up" the house is, are there lot's of bushes and flowers to work around, etc.)

·
Registered
873 Posts
vinyl siding quality goes by thickness,,get the thickest you can afford.

Cheap siding is about .042,,,good siding about .046,,,best quality I know of is .050.

My daughter had the .050 stuff installed seamless and they have a big house and I see NO seams. I think they said it came in 40' lengths. the thicker the vinyl the better it hangs and looks also!!

Hope this helps,,,I installed my first house worth of vinyl siding this spring and it went well,,,all by myself!! Hardest and most expensive part is all the trim work,,,and flashing windows (there are good tutorials on that here). Somebody helping would be a great asset so you dont have to climb 3 ladders for one piece install.

Dangermouse must have a really small house to need only 6 square!! Course a mouse would think a dog house was a mansion!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL Don...

We decided, we are going with Crane siding and it is a .044 thickness. i was reccomended by a few siders...not top stuff but mid-grade. Crane Market Square. We are doing 12 ft pieces.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Dangermouse must have a really small house to need only 6 square!! Course a mouse would think a dog house was a mansion!!!
nah, i just have lots of windows, plus i'm not siding the back side yet, it has T-11 now, though i will side over it to match the rest of the house eventually.

DM

·
Registered
938 Posts
$40/square..........you must have bought it 5 years ago or more, and must be .040

Sephora, those prices seem rather low. Does that include tear off?

Crane is a decent siding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you were very smart to have the fan fold insulation put on before the siding. This not only gives you an extra weather barrier but any imperfection in the existing wood siding can be hidden as well. from a .40 to .50 has nothing to do with weather protection but it has to do with durability, you have increased your.40 durability using the fan fold. looks very nice. check in 3 to 6 months all of the caulking joints around the windows and other places as it will take that long for any issues to show up with holes or shrinkage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts