DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't turn off the furnace's breaker until next winter? There are at least two little lights running and regardless how small, they still use power!

Thanks!

DM

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
I am often reluctant to shut things like this down for fear they won't start when you go to switch it back on.....

The two LEDs on my boiler may cost a MINUSCULE amount of power during non-heating months. But they serve the purpose to re-assure me all is well.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Turning the breaker to the furnace off means no air whatsoever so if you don't need it, not a problem to turn it off.

·
Hvac Pro
22,674 Posts
I agree with Leah. When I shut off the power to one of my computers the power supply cooled down, contracted and died. Computer service guy said that is not uncommon. Now I leave the power on all the time. The transformer runs warm in your furnace and cooling it down in theory may contract it, loosen the plates/windings and then it can buzz. 1 watt LED costs 1/1000 of a kw to run and you probably pay under $10c/kwh so it ain't worth it.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only for heat in winter, no A/C to it at all.
My "home-made cooling system" covers that for the most part, we rarely ever need to turn on a window unit.
So I can turn it off no problem?

DM

·
Registered
332 Posts
I turn off my upstairs unit during the winter when my kids aren't here. Enough heat migrates that way from downstairs and it doesn't kick on. I hate hearing the upstairs heat pump turn on when nobody is up there. I would do it.

·
Super Moderator
39,468 Posts
I'll bet those lights cost 2 cents a month.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 cents a MONTH???? We can't afford THAT!
Now I GOTTA turn it off!!! :eek:

DM

·
Hvac Pro
22,674 Posts
Prevents global warming. No need to burn coal to produce the power for those LEDs. Gotta get me one of these to save my dollaros and burn off some carbs.:yes:

Attachments

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
I fear Murphy's Law. I also think that any additional or unpredictable action can result in collateral damage.

How many times have you replaced a part or fixed something only to have something different and unrelated fail when you go to start it up?
:censored:

For example: we took my huband's M3 in for an alignment yesterday. We took it to an excellent shop where we trust the people there completely (anyone want a recommendation for a speed shop primarily Subaru... PM me).

When we left the shop the convertible top no longer works. :laughing: While I am certain they neither a) messed around with the top and b) are trying to generate more problems (because they don't have the knowhow to fix it); I can't help shake the feeling that the two actions are related.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts