DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Foam can be cut with a knife once dried, to give you an example what it will look like
I can go and cut it level if I wanted to,

I finish the job off sheetrock and plaster, like sid

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,186 Posts
I'd use 1/4" plywood (or similar). Drill the holes the size and where required. Then split the plywood through the hole centers to make two halves (upper and lower). That way, I can use sheetrock screws to attach the "plates" which will make them removable forever - just in case I have to get at that plumbing (some of which looks as though it's behind the level of the wall). No one will see it and you won't have to whittle great stuff in the future if there is a problem

Just sayin' when you have good access to difficult plumbing it's nice to enhance rather than bury...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should mention I’m not (yet) all that handy so while these solutions sound great I’m not exactly confident I’ll be able to do them lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like Domo ideal too. personally I would not fill hat with spray foam. After closing it down smaller it would be ok to seal the gaps will foam , or caulk.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Do not foam that. It can become a big mess as it expands, look ugly when it is done, and you will have to rip it all out later when you need to work on your p-trap. It’s a lazy way out of the situation. You will regret it later if you do it.

I would recommend using plywood instead of drywall. Only because plywood is stronger and won’t break as easy as the drywall access cover would. You can get cabinet grade plywood if you want a smooth finish that would look good painted to match.

This is a perfect job to develop your handy skills. Whatever you do will look better than spray foam and it will never be seen so it only needs to be functional.

Take pride in your work, you will appreciate your efforts later.

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Thanks all for the awesome replies. I guess now is a good excuse to buy a saw?
Not only time to buy a saw, but maybe a whole arsenal of tools to start doing things yourself! Based on the 2 or 3 other posts about shoddy contractor work in your area and how much you are paying for that lousy work, you will be WAY AHEAD in the long run to arm yourself with some quality tools, watch some YouTube and do any work yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts