DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. trying to install a ceiling fan and came across this type off wiring. At first I thought it be knob and tube but don’t think it is since there’s no indication of any insulators in my attic..! Think it’s cloth covered aluminum but not sure... Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks so much

·
Naildriver
13,412 Posts
Do you have access above this area? If so, look to see if there is a place you can put a junction box. You can cut this cable, put it in the junction box, and run new NM cable to the ceiling location. What you have is terribly brittle. I would not connect a light/fan to it. It is possibly cracked all the way to the holding clamp, so taping or other methods may not work.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
On the plus side, if that metal box is (or could be) securely fastened to a joist or something, it should have no trouble carrying the weight of a ceiling fan.

But I agree that the wires need to be replaced or "safed" somehow. Especially with the vibrations from a fan all the time. I like the shrink wrap idea, all the way back to where the cable enters the box, if replacement isn't an option.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I had this same exact issue at one property. The insulation falls apart, even if it doesn't by the time you connect the fan and push the wiring back into the box it will fall apart more. Every time you touch it it will fall apart more.

My temp solution at the time was to loosen the clamp connector, and pull into the boxmore of the same wire, surprisingly the "new" wire from outside the box are in much better shape, as they have not been messed with since original installation since 80 years ago. I removed all insulation and cloth back to where new wire starts, then slipped on 1/8" heat shrink tubing. Then a thicker marine grade heat shrink tubing over the whole thing, that worked fine for months. Eventually after 6-8 months I changed out the wiring back to the panel.

·
Super Moderator
14,973 Posts
On the plus side, if that metal box is (or could be) securely fastened to a joist or something, it should have no trouble carrying the weight of a ceiling fan.
Not true, the box should be fan rated if it provides the sole support for the fan.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Not true, the box should be fan rated if it provides the sole support for the fan.
Correct. Code is code. What you should do is rip out that old, thick metal box that you could probably hang a side of beef from, and replace it with a shiny new plastic and stamped sheet metal one that some engineer has approved to carry the weight of exactly one fan.

I'd never suggest anyone should violate code!

·
Super Moderator
14,973 Posts
It is not so much the gauge of the metal , but the diameter of the screw and that more than the screw tab holds the weight.

Reactions: GrayHair

·
Naildriver
13,412 Posts
The tabs can't be used to hold the weight of the fan. It takes 10-24 screws into a threaded boss that is part of the back of the box to supply that strength

·
Naildriver
13,412 Posts
Maybe in Canada. I don't see a listing stamped on the box nor the weight it will support, which are the two critera of the code, here. The ceiling fan cannot be supported by the bent ears only, and must use 10-24 screws.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,726 Posts
Spec in the link I provided say 35lbs. But you are probably right about not being approved in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts