DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Njuneer
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really ONLY looking for people that have real world experiences here. "ideas" I have, but like to hear from people that have done this so I can determine a few things.

This is a deal that will probably only happen this winter only, and never again. Not looking for an insane project here.

I have a 5th wheel we are using as a job trailer on a site. Due to the nightmares of 2020 our project will extend into the cold months. Trailer is in the midwest and freezing temps usually only dip at night and probably only stupid cold 20day of the season.

I was just looking at the camper to figure out ideas and this will not be easy. Wheel wells curve, things to try to go around, etc. All I need to do is trap some heat so I can keep things above freezing. Will have the gas furnace going but at night, that would probably be the lowest setting which I think is 55F.

I have ideas to pump heat under the camper, but I need to get it reasonably sealed. Looking for cheap and easy solutions. As well, due to the neighbors around the site, we don't want to let this camper look "permanent" or at least a steal look. Obviously we could get plywood and custom cut everything and add insulation but that will get ridiculous for 3mo use.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
Do like they do in northern Maine for mobile homes. Stack bales of hay or straw around the perimeter. I have also seen garbage bags of leaves.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
We were hunting in Oklahoma a few years back. First the water froze, then the sewerage froze. Then the gas valve to the propane tank froze. We went home the next day lol. The next year when I went back I brought those electric wraps to keep your pipes from freezing. Put those in all the areas where the pipes froze and plugged everything in when we got there. It worked great. We changed the propane valve before we left. I suspect that the old one had moisture in it. But I don’t know that for a fact. I know that’s not the exact answer your looking for. But I would still do it plus any skirting you were going to add. Going back in three weeks to give it another shot. When I purchased my camper I ordered it. They offered a freeze package. It wasn’t but a couple hundred dollars. Never thought I’d need it in Louisiana. Didn’t think that one through. I also keep a couple of plug in heaters just in case. Learned my lesson. Those heater strips really worked well though. Along with a little foam insulation.
I couldn’t buy these local but they came in different lengths. Amazon I think is where I got them. Bought a few different sizes, some insulation. Didn’t take that long or cost very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts