DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed refinishing and restoring 6 old pub stools. Each stool has four tapered legs, each leg is doweled (wood) to each corner at the bottom of the seat. Also, a metal brace fits at the inside top of each leg (lower screw) to the inside lower corners of the seat. (upper screw) A chrome square footrest is attached to the outside of the legs about half way down their length. Additionally, Each stool has 4 wood arches that fit inside the tops of the legs.
In reassembling the parts, none of my chairs legs are lining up correctly or evenly. By the time I get the chrome bar attached the stool is totally out of alignment. What steps do I need to take or is there a unique trick I'm missing in getting these stools put back together so they are level and their legs line up? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Did you you number the parts as you disassembled them? If not, do the results change if you switch parts around? Do all of the tapers fit togerther the same?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Did you you number the parts as you disassembled them? If not, do the results change if you switch parts around? Do all of the tapers fit togerther the same?
If you did not mark and number the parts I fear you have a puzzle on your hands getting the pieces to match up again. Trial and error may be in your future.

·
Registered
496 Posts
One thing you need is a perfectly flat surface for the four legs to rest on as you assemble them so that there is no wobble. You can use a rubber mallet to drive the seat down onto the four legs as they sit on the flat surface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts