DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a house built in 1946. It has glass doorknobs on every door. The mechanism works fine on all of them, but the glass will spin in its holder. In other words, I have to grab the metal part behind the glass to turn the doorknob and open the door. None of them have fallen out and im concerned about trying to force them out of the metal piece in order to glue them back in place. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
Maybe clear epoxy around the knob at the metal part? Just a thought.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
I repaired numerous sets in a house built in 1921 which my son bought some years back. I used an epoxy, didn't think about looking for clear. The epoxy was a sort of light grey color after mixing and I used "tonque depressors" bought at a hobby store to push the epoxy into the space between the glass and the metal part. I did mix the epoxy sort of thin, but it did set up nicely. I trimmed off the excess, after it had dried hard, with an X-acto knife. This turned out really well and you could not see the epoxy unless you knew it was there and looked for it. Just one thought on that, David

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You might try the liquid version of Super Glue. Unscrew the spindle and look for the metal glass interface and apply the glue to the interior. Squeeze it in and rotate the glass a bit to spread the glue. Then let it set for an hour or so.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts