DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tenant called yesterday and said that there was a leak in the water heater, located in the garage.
I asked him to send me pictures, and from the pictures I saw it was a leak from the tank.
This kind of a leak can't be repaired, so I loaded a replacement WH into the van, got there at 3pm. Emptying the WH took longer than expected, due to minerals blocking the drain bibb, so I used a wire 2 or 3 times, to free the water passage out.
Once it was empty, it took me about 90 minutes to complete, with new copper water supply flexes, double check, fill up, turn the gas back on, light the pilot, and fire the burner. Tenant had hot water for a shower in 20 minutes.
A new 40 gallon natural gas WH goes for over $700 now (tax incl). The one I used had a minor a dent that I found at Lowe's earlier this year for $300.
Now I have to locate another one like it. With so many homes, I don't wait for the last minute to find a WH, unless I have none in stock.
This is the third WH I replaced this year.
" Your tenant is your customer - treat him like one ".

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
...due to minerals blocking the drain bibb
Next time (or when otherwise convenient)...
1) remove the plastic drain valve.
2) Add copper fitting adapter set-up
(male 3/4" x male 1" with short piece of 3/4" between)
3) Install full bore 1" brass ball valve.
4) Make up and eep a plastic 1" male IPS X garden hose adapter.

Somewhere around here are a few threads with a picture of it all.
With it in place then the sediment flush pita just becomes a routine task.
Best is that most WH's will last you much longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HotRosx10,
Ebay is listing used WHs, why would somebody want someone else's headache.
There are outlets for dented appliances.
Sears closed down a center 10 miles from me. They still run the one 65 miles away. Too far.
HD ships them to those outlets,
Lowes still sells them at the stores (up to 50% off). They offer 10% on 2 new ones, plus 5% if you use your lowe's card.
Wholesale plumbing supply outlets used to be a good source, now they give a stingy 10% discount only...
AO Smith is dictating the price of new WHs, Rheem and B&W follow.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I've used pex down the HW nipple and a transfer pump. Sucked it out like a giant straw...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
TarheelTerp,
Been there done that, The new WHs come with brass bibb.
Even the WH with a brass drain valves are not full flow ball valves. They are tradition washer and seat valves that are easily clogged.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
I've used pex down the HW nipple and a transfer pump. Sucked it out like a giant straw...

I'm just a DIY'er and don't have a pump and not in a hurry so i just use the old fashion method and siphon it out . Spit Spit. That may be becoming a lost art of nature.

EDIT: EDIT:

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Ebay is listing used WHs, why would somebody want someone else's headache.

There are sometimes new ones that pop up, too. You can limit your search to new and also by distance from your zip code. Depending on your location, there may not be anything very often. It was just a thought.

65 miles to the Sear outlet is too far? I guess it depends on how long it takes and what your time is worth, I suppose. I went 100 miles to the nearest Sears Outlet for my dishwasher (spent $330 for $850 model) and later for a fridge ($1100 for a $1700 model). I considered it worthwhile, since it only took about 4 hours total for each trip.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
You're thinking about 65 Wyoming miles.
In the rest of the world that's about 10 miles as the crow flies.

Well technically most of mine was Colorado miles, but I get the point - 65 miles in most areas of Cali can take a long time, from what I understand. I've never really spent any time in those crowded areas. 4 years in Minneapolis was enough for me.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is (my own home).[/QUOTE]

In my city, the T&P drain AND pan drain must end up outside the building. I see no reason why it could be any different in your city.
You can go to the movies one afternoon, come back home to a massive flood if they drain indoors. It has happened, I've seen it.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
It is (my own home).

In my city, the T&P drain AND pan drain must end up outside the building. I see no reason why it could be any different in your city.

You can go to the movies one afternoon, come back home to a massive flood if they drain indoors. It has happened, I've seen it.[/QUOTE]How will you pipe to the exterior from a basement with no floor drain?

Reactions: Chris130
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.