DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having an electrical outlet installed in the front of our house so that I can put landscape lighting in one of our flowerbeds. I think it would look a little odd to only have one side done, but I'm not sure how to get it to the other side. There is a sidewalk that divides the two flower beds. Is it possible to dig under the sidewalk (all one piece of concrete) and thread the wire though that hole? The second flower bed is in front of our front porch and if we installed another electrical outlet on that side, we'd have a cord running across the porch (not safe).

I guess another option would be to run the wire up the house and attach it to the porch roofing and run it down to that area, but I'm not thrilled about having a wire trail from one part of the house to the other.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Safe, Most of the Time!!
662 Posts
Dig down 18 inches on both sides of the sidewalk, connect a garden hose to a piece of conduit; turn the water on and jet a hole under the sidewalk. Leave the conduit in place to run your wire.

I am not an electrician but I think you can get by with 18 inches deep if it is on a GFCI. You better check just to be sure.

edit; If it is low voltage I do not believe there is a depth requirement. Also do not dig under your sidewalk you will be asking for trouble down the road.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Dig down 18 inches on both sides of the sidewalk, connect a garden hose to a piece of conduit; turn the water on and jet a hole under the sidewalk. Leave the conduit in place to run your wire.

I am not an electrician but I think you can get by with 18 inches deep if it is on a GFCI. You better check just to be sure.
Make sure your cable is rated for burial.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I don't know the depth requirement but 18" sounds good to me. The outlet will be GFCI with a rain box. My brother will be installing this for me and he's getting all the wiring, so I'm sure he'll know what to get.

Thanks again! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts