DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi...The cement board in tub alcove installed at the plumbing end consists of two sheets one laid horizontally and one vertically, the horizontal
one is fine there is no flex, but the vertical one below it has some flex in it at the top. Is
this going to cause problems with the finished tile work cracking? If so, can
anyone suggest a fix that doesnt involve taking down the vertically installed piece of cement board.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm no tile expert, but since no one else has replied to your "urgent" question yet I'll take a stab at it.

The cement board in tub alcove installed at the plumbing end consists of two sheets one laid horizontally and one vertically, the horizontal one is fine there is no flex, but the vertical one below it has some flex in it at the top. Is this going to cause problems with the finished tile work cracking?
Hell Yes that's going to cause problems.

If so, can anyone suggest a fix that doesn't involve taking down the vertically installed piece of cement board.
I think you have to take it down.

Theoretically it might be possible to avoid taking down the cement board by screwing plywood into the studs over-top of it, and then installing new board on the ply, but that would be nuts.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Your picture doesn't show many screws--Do you have screws every 9 inches ?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
can anyone suggest a fix that doesnt involve taking down the vertically installed piece of cement board.
You're kidding...right?:)

What is the spacing between the wall studs? I'll tell you what it is. It is too great to support the wallboard properly. Take the board down and install some cross-members or whatever you have to do to correct the framing. The board will not safely span more than 16":) Stop looking for shortcuts.:)

Your picture doesn't show many screws--Do you have screws every 9 inches ?
I also know the answer to that question.
The answer is a resounding "NO". Yet another shortcut.:)

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Must be the hot weather--I had a thread shut down today at CT for dressing down someone.

Some times I have trouble holding my tongue

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I might have to rip down the cement board and beef up the . Just
thought I would ask. I will have to call the contractor and get him back
in, this p-sses me off. Yet another delay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Bud ....I needed that hand slapping. Taken cement board down. Installed 2x4 horizontal bracing behind the two pieces
and at the bottom behind cement board and "voila" problem is gone. Now I just need to tape and thin set joints and I can get
on with tiling.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Hey Bud ....I needed that hand slapping. Taken cement board down. Installed 2x4 horizontal bracing behind the two pieces
and at the bottom behind cement board and "voila" problem is gone. Now I just need to tape and thin set joints and I can get
on with tiling.
Okay...you don't have to go to "Time Out" this time but you are on notice.

Wait until you are installing the tile to tape and bed the joints otherwise you will have hard humps you don't want. Remember: NO SHORTCUTS.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts