DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12'x16' concrete patio, and on either side are small holes from a animal, probably 1.5-2" diameter. One side of the patio seems to just be entrance holes, and the other looks like it opens into a burrow. The burrow is about 5ft deep, but I can't tell how wide, or what else is going on under the patio. Naturally, I am concerned about large voids under concrete. What can I do to repair this (if I even need to?) to prevent it from cracking. The rodents are gone, whatever they were, so only concerned about the concrete. Thanks!

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,130 Posts
If that pad was poured with some re-enforcement it probably will not crack off.

But I would still be refilling the voids, and burying some type of wire mesh around the perimeter in case the critters come back.

The wire stops them from digging under. And is buried so it is never seen.

As it is it creates a hazard to anyone stepping in the holes and breaking an ankle, so fill them in packing the fill in to support the slab, and evening out the area.

ED

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Voles would be out tunneling around the yard. This looks more like squirrels or the name we do not like to mention. Gently stuff some leaves in the holes and check a day or two later to see if the leaves have been pushed aside. I prefer to eliminate them then redo the edge as suggested. If you just block it off, they will just go looking for a new way to get into your home. Spring is when they move to the outside. Fall is when they need to find a warm spot for the winter.

Bud

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a 12'x16' concrete patio, and on either side are small holes from a animal, probably 1.5-2" diameter. One side of the patio seems to just be entrance holes, and the other looks like it opens into a burrow. The burrow is about 5ft deep, but I can't tell how wide, or what else is going on under the patio. Naturally, I am concerned about large voids under concrete. What can I do to repair this (if I even need to?) to prevent it from cracking. The rodents are gone, whatever they were, so only concerned about the concrete. Thanks!
When the burrows are fresh, from Walmart:

I had holes like that early this Spring, I ignored then and now I have moles in my lawn. If they are vacant fill the holes with pea gravel in a bag from Home Depot.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Around my house the culprit was chipmunks. Fairly deep burrows against the foundation. 2-3" of rocks or gravel seemed to discourage more digging. If I see a hole, I just filled with dirt. Cementing would be a waste since they'd just dig next to it. Mothballs, pool chlorine nuggets, vinegar, all seem to work for a short time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.