DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a 125 mm Makita GA5030R angle grinder and I am using it to grind wood boards. I am using a Velcro 125 mm support and abrasive disks (P60 or P80) mounted on the angle grinder.
I made some kind of dust extraction guard using a plastic bowl, a leather belt and a hose clamp (please have a look at the attached photos).
The next step should be attaching a pipe for connecting the vacuum cleaner, but I found during tests that while grinding, the grinder is vibrating more than normally.
Is there any way for reducing the grinder vibration ?
Also, how safe (compared to a original Makita) is this angle grinder dust extraction attachment ?

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@chandler48 I was previously using a orbital sander but it was taking a lot of time to sand a piece of wood so I given up. The wood boards are from pallets and they have a lot of bumps that need to be corrected.
@HotRodx10 I am sorry but, I use this angle grinder because I can't buy at this moment a better tool.

Also, I found on youtube some people that were using a angle grinder to do their job when they needed to sand wood...

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
@chandler48 I was previously using a orbital sander but it was taking a lot of time to sand a piece of wood so I given up. The wood boards are from pallets and they have a lot of bumps that need to be corrected.
@HotRodx10 I am sorry but, I use this angle grinder because I can't buy at this moment a better tool.

Also, I found on youtube some people that were using a angle grinder to do their job when they needed to sand wood...
Hey, it's up to you. I just envision a lot of gouges if I were using that method, especially with the dust cover blocking the view. If it works for what you need, that's great. Just trying to offer some advice and alternatives.

In that spirit, I encourage you to look at your options for cheap belt sanders. It sounds like to me, that for what you're doing, it would provide much better results and be easier and safer. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, they have one right now under $24. Menards has a couple under $30. There's also garage sales, auctions, pawn shops, and Craigslist to explore, if you want to look for cheaper options. If you get one like that, it will probably be on the louder side (I know the HF one is; it's just like mine), so be sure to have ear plugs if you go that route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.