DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening all.

What are you opinions on both of these brands? I'm getting quotes of $6800 for a 100k btu /3ton system vs. about $5500 for the ICP brand.

The Amana I was quoted is a 2-stage and the ICP is a single stage.

What are your opinions on the 2 brands and is a 2-stage really worth the extra $$?

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
2 stage is for comfort, not efficiency. It can make quite a difference in home comfort.
Brand doesn’t mean much, the quality of the installation is much more important.
I’d personally start by asking if you really need a 100k BTU furnace/3 tons of cooling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The current install is a 100K keeprite furnace circa 1992 vintage and a 2.5 ton a/c system.

While i'm ok with with sticking to the same a/c tonnage, I don't feel really comfortable downsizing the unit to an 80k. Are the new units that much more efficient that this can be done without any negative effects?

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
The contractor should do a load calculation to determine proper size. Many times the equipment is oversized on the initial installation.
Bigger equipment is not better.
During very hot or cold weather, did the equipment cycle? Did it run constantly? Is the duct noisy?

·
Registered
16,202 Posts
I'm in the same general area as you.

Is it brick veneer, framed with insulation or older and double brick?

When was the house built?

If the existing unit is 80% efficient or less, a new 95%+ 80k puts out roughly the same amount of heat.

In some instances a load calc won't make a difference; for example if your existing furnace output is 75 to 80k and it kept up properly, you're not going to go down to 60k in a house like that (too small?) yet there's no reason to go up to 100.

3 ton does sound in line, though if the windows see very little sun exposure possible the existing 2.5 is right.

Assuming the existing a/c has no problems:
If it kept up running continuously and the temp didn't increase well above the thermostat setting, you can probably stay with that size.

Now if the temp drifted up to 26c on the typical hot day, pretty good indication you need more capacity. (and perhaps some duct sealing)

Yes, it's better to get a load calc, but performance of existing equipment can tell you a lot.

Your original question:

Get the complete model number so you actually know what you're buying.

There aren't huge differences between brands until you look at high end stuff.

I would avoid 2-stage goodman/amana high end comfort-bridge stuff because there's no option to stage it using a thermostat. You can only use the board's algorithm.

Search this board: "2-stage thermostat" to understand the disadvantages of using the board to stage. The comfort-bridge algorithm may be better than others but still not so good.

The dealer who's doing sizing and installation is more important than the brand in the end.

2-stage furnaces are very much worth the extra money, they run at 2/3rd capacity most of the time and are quieter, provide more consistent heat.

Is this system for one floor or the whole house?
It's very rare here to have one system per floor unless the house was custom or is very large.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.