DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are buying a house and we are at the stage where the house needs to be appraised by our bank. Everything is on and running except the furnace won't light, we have trouble shot it and the only problem we can come up with is the controller being bad.

The furnace is we believe a 1970s Amana, it has a (newer then 1970)Honeywell Controller in it. So the question is do we need to know the specific model of the furnace to get the "correct" controller or will any 24volt 2amp controller work? The current one does have the thermocoupler line coming off of it.

There is a manual and some sort of tag for the furance on the property but the tag is almost un-readable and i'm not sure what an Amana model number looks like.

·
retired framer
63,256 Posts
You should expect to replace it sooner than later. I think the first thing to look at is the thermocouple. if you have a pilot.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Is it gas?

Likely a standing pilot.

There are a few things to check:

1. Does it have 120v power?
2. Does it have 24vac control voltage. Find the transformer and with power on and door switch depressed, check for voltage with a meter set to AC voltage on the low voltage side of the transformer.

(check in the opposite order, if it has 24vac it has line voltage too)

3. Is the pilot lit?

*If the thermocouple is bad, the pilot won't stay on after lighting.

If all checks out, remove the thermostat and jumper R and W terminals.

If it doesn't light off, check for 24vac voltage at the gas valve.

If there's voltage you have a bad gas valve, if not something else in the control circuit is stopping it from running.

A high limit switch, fusible link, vent safety switch (assuming it's natural draft - which it must be if from the 70s), low voltage wiring fault.

Do remember that even if you get this unit running, it's temporary due to age.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
^Needing to change a furnace isn't a big deal compared to other things like needing to re-wire, re-duct or repair a foundation.

·
Administrator
42,484 Posts
The person your buying the home from should be taking care of this.

A 40 year old furnace is not something you want to have to suddenly replace shortly after buying a house. Have the cost of replacement included in the mortgage.

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Is there a reason the seller isn't fixing this?
I was strictly forbidden to touch anything on any home I've purchased, before closing. I would check with my realtor before messing around with the unit.
I would plan on having the funds available for replacing the unit very soon, if not now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.