DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking out an old 1944 door jam and replacing with regular jeld wen steel prehung.

So that leaves me with a raised concrete area that could hold the door I think but it is too low and kind of rough so uneven.
using treated 2x i have 2-3 inches that will sit in front of the concrete and then 3 inches or so trimmed to about 1/2 inch that covers the concrete. I goofed cause i could have made it 3/4 in on that part.
Anyway where i am bothered is getting it level front to back. it is level width wise.one end keeps being out by a bubble or less. part of it is the wood at least and then the rest if any is the concrete porch or the raised part. see pic if I can get it on here. right now I feel it needs raised a bit on the inside hinge corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I would install the door, get it hung perfectly plumb in both direction. Then fill the space under the sill with concrete patch, squirt it in place with a grout bag.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would install the door, get it hung perfectly plumb in both direction. Then fill the space under the sill with concrete patch, squirt it in place with a grout bag.
so basically install with it hanging and then fill? does aluminum bond to concrete?
Hmmm. would it need forms?

·
retired framer
46,903 Posts
IF I understand. I was going to wrap the sill plate and install the door. Far as I have seen and heard that is how it is done.
I would just level the concrete with mortar, if it is not subject to rain or water a pan is not needed but never let aluminum tough concrete.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just level the concrete with mortar, if it is not subject to rain or water a pan is not needed but never let aluminum tough concrete.
That is a good idea but now I don't know if i want to wait for it to set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts