DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Aluminum Window Mull Question & Solutions

921 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  pumpkinscastle
Looking for advice.

I've replaced almost all the windows on my house with these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt-...n-x-60-in-Actual-35-5-in-x-59-5-in/5013113765

Example pic below.
Sky Font Real estate Facade Wood

My problem now is the double wide window on the front of my house. I can't use these same aluminum windows without mulling them together, and Lowe's no longer offers a mull kit for them either. Their installer quoted me at $1,800 for a new vinyl replacement window (single unit) + install, which is more than I care to spend.

Property Building Window Wood Interior design

What are my options in this scenario? Ideally I'd like to find a way to mull the aluminum windows together to make them work. I could also learn how to install the vinyl replacement window unit myself to save on labor costs, but it's still a $1,000+ window. A white window would be cheaper, but to have 1 white window with 3 black windows on my house seems like a pointless replacement.

I'm open to suggestions if you have any. Thanks.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,509 Posts
Typical mullion is a 2x4, If you install a 2x4 can you get the windows to fit?

Actually it's two 2x4's to give load support.
If the original window had no mullion, then it won't need the support of two 2x4's
as it didn't have them before.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, 800 to install one window on an open wall? That sounds crazy. I don’t know anything about mulling, but installing that window isn’t very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought so too. I'm not opposed to learning how to install one so I may just order the window and do it myself I there's no other way.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typical mullion is a 2x4, If you install a 2x4 can you get the windows to fit?

Actually it's two 2x4's to give load support.
If the original window had no mullion, then it won't need the support of two 2x4's
as it didn't have them before.
You mean using a 2x4 between the two windows right? Looking at the back of the existing windows from the inside it looks like they're just fused together. I'm not seeing where a 2x4 would go so I don't think there is one currently. Apologies if I misunderstood your comment.

Would I just need to wrap the 2x4 with aluminum flashing afterwards if I go that route? In my head I can visualize how to do it, it's just the lack of materials / making it look clean & intentional is the problem. Thanks for the help.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With vinyl windows the mullen is a snap on piece, normally. OP why do you have to take apart the current windows if wanting to reuse?
Not wanting to reuse. I would remove the existing windows completely and replace with these aluminum windows if possible: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ReliaBilt-...n-x-60-in-Actual-35-5-in-x-59-5-in/5013113765

2 of these side by side, mulled together somehow if possible. The Lowe's installer wanted to use a single unit vinyl replacement window but at nearly $2k for the window + labor, so I'm looking for alternative solutions.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
You mean using a 2x4 between the two windows right? Looking at the back of the existing windows from the inside it looks like they're just fused together. I'm not seeing where a 2x4 would go so I don't think there is one currently. Apologies if I misunderstood your comment.

Would I just need to wrap the 2x4 with aluminum flashing afterwards if I go that route? In my head I can visualize how to do it, it's just the lack of materials / making it look clean & intentional is the problem. Thanks for the help.
Yes, all your doing is creating an opening to install a typical one window on each side.
The wood Mull would be inbetween the two windows.
However the windows will get installed seperatly on each side.
And yes you could cover with flashing or wood trim.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, all your doing is creating an opening to install a typical one window on each side.
The wood Mull would be inbetween the two windows.
However the windows will get installed seperatly on each side.
And yes you could cover with flashing or wood trim.

Way over priced on that size of window IMO. Those two with a fin would need a 2 - 2xs between them . then a filler piece with a custom aluminum cap . correctly done and sealed with a good caulk will last a long time.

That clears it up - Thank you both!

· Registered
3,509 Posts
Way over priced on that size of window IMO. Those two with a fin would need a 2 - 2xs between them . then a filler piece with a custom aluminum cap . correctly done and sealed with a good caulk will last a long time.
I was thinking because the windows are protected with the porch roof from rain, just remove the fins over the mull and seal it well calking wise.

· Registered
57 Posts
Ok, got it. Still, for Oklahoma you really want more efficient windows. If you go through the trouble of window replacement, upgrade to a better window. I think you will regret a u factor of 0.52. If you are unconcerned about energy savings, then surely comfort should be an important consideration. Good luck with the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts