DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Window World installed new windows last week with the aluminum capping on the exterior. It looks like they simply capped over the old existing framing. Unfortunately depending on the window they did it three different ways. One window the capping is under the original top flashing with no caulk and the rest are capped over the top flashing, some with caulk and some without. I'm guessing capping under the flashing without caulk is the best option. If I can't get them to redo the whole job and the rest stay with capping over the flashing, should those be caulked where the capping meets the house? Also should the sides and bottom of the windows be caulked? Thanks so much!

·
retired framer
59,593 Posts
I have a low opinion of capping, I thing you are right about not caulking under the top flashing and the general rule is no caulking under the bottom but with out knowing what they did there it is hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried posting pics with laptop keep getting “invalid file”. I give up. My question is simply if they installed aluminum capping over the old wood frame and flashing, should they caulk the top horizontal capping where it meets the cedar siding? Thanks.

·
Naildriver
16,925 Posts
On your laptop, when you start your next post, go to "Go Advanced", then click on "Manage Attachments". It is self explanatory from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you can see, one window was done correctly(?) with the capping under the flashing without caulk, and the others all were done where the capping was put over the old frame and flashing. Some were caulked on top and some were not. My question is since they capped over the frame and flashing on 14 windows, should they all be caulked at the tops where the top of the capping meets the cedar siding? Also should the sides and bottom of window be caulked? Thanks

·
Naildriver
16,925 Posts
Yes, sealing the crack between the T1-11 and the flashing should be done. Not so much for leaks, but to keep water from infiltrating and wicking up the raw edge of your T1-11. I like forming blocks to insert in the gap caused by the indentation of the siding to make it smooth all across. Big gobs of sealant just doesn't look good.

Your house should have WRB wrap, and the windows should be sealed using 6" wide window tape, over the flashing, so you shouldn't have leaks. Is that the case? We don't know.

OSI Quad Max is a excellent exterior sealant that will weather well. I am not sure what the silicone looking stuff in Picture 2 is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But I think they capped OVER the old frame AND flashing. Would you still caulk the top if the old flashing is under the new capping? Should the sides and bottom be caulked even though the original frame under the capping is caulked?

·
Naildriver
16,925 Posts
I only see one frame and one flashing. What makes you "think" they flashed over old flashing? Fill us in on all your suspicions so we can give good advice.

Yes, sides should be sealed. Bottom is optional depending on WRB and taping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On one window the capping is under the top flashing. I believe they capped over the top flashing on the others because I was able to pull back the aluminum capping just enough to see the old flashing. I know if there were no flashing I would need to caulk the top of the capping. I was wondering if you still need to caulk between the top capping and the cedar since the old flashing is under the new capping?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.