DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Aluminum trim wavy on new house.

657 35
hello. Brand new to this website. Need some opinions expertise. Have a almost 1 yr house build question. Have aluminum trim on soffits that are all wavy in the summer and by winter it goes away(mostly , still there alittle bit). Had the warranty people out and they claim it’s the wood under neath moving. I think it was a bad siding trim job. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I wouldn't blame that on the "Trim" I wouldn't blame the "wood" underneath it either.
I've never seen that happen, so I will agree with SW Dweller and blame it on the roofer.
I did my home 25 yrs ago here in Tn and have never seen any buckles between hot or cold temps.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
They’ve got that one overlap that’s sticking up and out for some reason, but that gable flashing was never going to lay down smooth over the top of that wavy mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What throws me is that the OP says in the cold weather it lays flat once again...
So it's not anything underneath causing the ripples.
Perhaps it's just really thin Al, I never worked with that.
Strange that it expands sooo much.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Assume 20 ft length of aluminum, temperature change from 32* F to 100*F. The length will change 1/10”. A little less than 1/8”. That’s going to cause a lot of ripples.
Well it seems this is the issue...expansion of thin stock, although I have never seen a 20' brake, they are usually 8 to 12'
What Old Thomas says in the next post is what I always did, I added more bends at the roof line.
More for apperance and stiffness, I guess thats why I never encountered this kind of buckling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts