DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Aluminum Gutters Pulled Down & Repainting - Dull Spots

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cloves 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

In the middle of residing a house, decided to pull down the gutters to repaint them so final product looks finished.

Went down to the depot and picked up aluminum primer spray paint, cleaned the gutters and sprayed on the primer (2 coats). Then I I sprayed on white enamel spray paint the next day (2 coats)

Now that the paint has dried I am seeing some spots that look shinny and dull spots. I gave it 2 coats of spray paint, not sure what is happening. Thought this would be pretty easy job. I can see the dull spots and certain angles.

I know with car paint you have to wet sand etc but didn't think this would be the case with gutters.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Are the gutters slightly dented in spots?

Dents will refract the look of a surface, making some spots look dull, right in the dent.

It don't take much of a dent to cause an optical illusion this way.

ED

#9 ·
Might go to the store and pick up a small can of paint based on what usability being said. Thought with 1 can I could cover 1 gutter, guess I'm not putting down enough paint. Went with the cans so I would have smooth coat. I could also use my airless sprayer but the winter is here and cleaning that up outside isn't fun.

Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.