DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently removed the teak swim step from my boat to strip and refinish. The aluminum posts on the transom were stuck in the brackets on the transom, and pounding with a rubber mallet was the only way to remove the step. I'm going to take some emory cloth to the posts to clean them up. What can I use to clean inside the 5/8" dia. sockets on the brackets that slide over the posts? Also, is there a non-polluting lubricant I can use to keep things unstuck? Many thanks for your help, PW

·
Registered
14,122 Posts
Purchase a 3/4" dia. bottle brush, cut the wire loop off of the handle then chuck the handle in your portable drill. While out purchasing stop by the automotive store and buy some aluminum polish for the rotating brush to work with.

An older method and not very techie is a shop made flap wheel. Cut a slot in a 3/8" wood dowel and insert a piece of sandpaper or emery tape and rotate that in the 5/8" opening with your drill motor.

Consider lubricating with a very thin application of silicone grease.

EDIT: EDIT:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.