DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was just curious about a simple question. Im renovating an old house and they were using aluminum wiring. I was just curious if i can just use nolox on the aluminum wire if i were to join it with a new copper wire under the same wirenut. Or would i need a special wirenut for this? The reason for doing this is because theres a junction box with aluminum wiring and i wanna tap off that wire to add a receptacle. But i barely worked with aluminum. So i just wanted to know what the actual code for it is or how the inspector wants it or whatever.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
20,911 Posts
A special wire nut is needed for aluminum to copper connections. The nuts must be listed for copper to aluminum connection. I believe most of them are purple.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
AlumiConn connectors are a better choice for someone who doesn't have much experience working with aluminum conductors. They are not inexpensive. However, the prices on Amazon and even at Home Depot/Lowe's are a joke. Call your local electrical supply houses and see if they'll sell you three individually. If not, a pack of ten will end up costing only a little more than three individual pieces at most retail places. Shop around before buying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts