DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 1960's ranch with alluminum wiring. I dont have any info as far as decor switches, but i have used basic switches and receptacles that HD carries that are AL approved. The main thing I had concerns with was the wiring in the attic and any outdoor light fixtures. Here in western NY we get a lot of moisture and I think this speeds up the corrosion process when copper and alluminum are connected.

While adding insulation into our attic I decided to add ceiling fans into various rooms and was going to tap off 2 boxes in the attic. Luckily I checked in these boxes because the wire nuts had melted and started to char black wherever there was CU to AL. Im sure this would have started a fire at some point in the future, so I had to clip,strip and rewire them all and paste them up. I checked all other boxes in the basement and found no issues with CU to AL yet pasted anyway, so I think the outside moisture accelerated the process. Just my 2 cents from my experience with AL and CU connections.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.