DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Allure flooring transition between hallway, bedrooms, and bath?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
A few years back I laid down some Trafficmaster Allure in a bedroom, and just lined it up with the wall/door frame. At the time there was carpet in the hall and bedroom so I just cut the carpet at that line and put down a metal transition strip.

I'm now planning on doing the remainder of the upstairs with the same Allure product, but don't know how to handle the transitions for the 3 bedrooms off the hall, how to handle the top of the steps, or what direction I should go in the bathroom (If I decide to go with the Allure there).

The 3 bedrooms and hall will all run the same direction, but if I continue with the next piece of Allure out of the bedroom that is already done it will leave about a 1" strip against (pic with dowel laid on floor showing where next piece of Allure would end) the right hallway wall, and a 4" strip against the left wall.

The bathroom should technically run the opposite direction of the hall. So how do I do that transition? Metal strip? Or should I just lay it same direction as hall since it is a small bathroom?

Once I get to the top of the stairs, not sure how to handle that area. I haven't seen any Allure pieces for that overhang lip.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ed69pqx3zhf4v3i/z4fMAAA3o3

See less See more
#2 ·
Got yourself a mess there. All that flooring was suppost to be installed so it came to the middle of the door stop mouldings.

Is that landing tread (the wood piece at the very top of the stairs) level with the plywood?

#4 ·
Allure is a floating floor and must have an expantion gap on all sides or it can buckle.
I think if I had to do your job I would use engineered flooring instead of Allure.
I would remove the landing tread you have now and make one or buy one that would end up be the same height as the engineered flooring so there was no transition at the top of the step, they would be even.
Your stuck now with having to have thresholds at each door way to cover up the gap. The side where the Allure is would have to be undercut so it's not making hard contact with the floor so it can move under it.

http://www.hardwoodstairtreads.com/bullnose_landing_tread.html
Notice the grove in the tread. That would hold the flooring and the tread even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.