DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 5 out of 6 fans in house stopped responding to hand held remotes today. They all have separate remotes (with different DIP codes). They are gettting electricity in since they are spinning at previously set codes. I am not aware of any power surges that might have ruined the remote recivers in the fan. I dont have any other explanations. Any advise u can give will be helpful. (I beieve they are all hampton bay fans but different models),
sincerley
perplexed in jacksonville

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some of the fans are about 7 mo old and some around 3 years old. all batteries are fine and it is not a sudden problem with all the 5 remotes. (i have tried the remote from the 6th fan, the one that is working well, changed the DIP and tried to control the non responding fans but they dont respond).
thanks

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
you may have to call hampton bay tech support line on this one...if you have power to the fans and not responding to remotes but will run otherwise...seems like something on the remote or receiving unit in fan....sorry

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
How can they be working if they will not respond to the remotes?
Check the breakers for the fans, as they could be on the same circuit.

Reactions: ben's plumbing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
update: now the 6th fan has stopped responding too :(

They are working at the previously set level of speed and light level. I can control them only via on/off switch on wall.
they are on different circuits.

i am truly perplexed. its almost as if some electrical surge ruined all the fan remote receivers or there is some device in the house or neighbors that is interfering with the receivers.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Yup, you could have had a surge fry `em all.

Try replacing one of the remote receivers. See if that cures the problem. Then replace the rest of `em as needed.

Hope you saved your receipts for the ones that may be still under warranty.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
So if they are remote controlled fans,
then they basically have a small simple micro in them,
And as we all know micro's can do weird things (crash).
Maybe some spikes or mains bourne noise,
Doesnt take much to fry em,
If you cant replace the boards,
then its new fans for you !
Better quality next time I hope .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly all fans are working fine now. I had gone on vacation for 1 week and when we returned all fans were working fine without any fixing. I am very puzzled but happy. I remember that something like this had happened once before too (long time ago).

All is well that ends well :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
There is too much "radio frequency" stuff in the area and the signals are being jammed... cell phones, garage remotes, TV remote extenders, internet wireless devices, and on and on and on...

Here car remotes stopped working...

Keyless Remotes To Cars in Waldorf Suddenly Useless
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A28217-2004Jul4?language=printer

I avoid installing anything remote anymore if I can install a wired device instead or IR remote like for TV's.

·
In a little over my head
1,215 Posts
Any nuclear testing going on in your area?

Actually, our one Hampton Bay fan did the same thing a couple of years ago. After several episodes of being unable to turn off the light, and a few calls to Hampton Bay, I did the only reasonable thing. I put the fan at the curb and bought a Hunter; with a pull chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts