DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a clumsy start for a hall bath remodel. The tile guy seems to have done a good job on the shower/tub tile, but he's left us precious little to attach our tape. There is literally a hardly quarter inch of round Durock nose/edge protruding.

Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Bathroom
Wood Flooring Tints and shades Hardwood Wood stain

We were foolish to allow them to begin with no drywall in place (we felt pressured—I was to have installed the drywall) and didn't process this difficulty until now. I feel punished by this. He could have communicated the issue and found a suitable work-around together. Hindsight. Newb DIY issues.

There is a tiny slit behind most of the tile (up to 1/16" wide and as deep as 1/2" in places) that I mused might be stuffed with mesh tape and then thinset. Is it possible to "lay" the mesh tape around the curve of the Durock nose/factory edge poking it (a fold in the middle) into the small gap and then apply thinset? Zero experience with mesh tape exists here. I've read that it has issues with adherence so I'm doubting our creative approach with work. What other options have we?

On a related question: What's with 5/8 inch green-board (MMR) NOT in stock within hundreds of miles? Pandemic/supply issues or is it no longer being stocked? Options? There is 1/2" MMR less than a mile away. I know I could dance with shims. That wall is a tough wonky one and the tile has been laid plumb and straight, but elevated from the plane enough that 5/8 would be a ton less work. I just can't find any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With friends like that you don't need any enemies.
He was dealing with issues himself and may have had some pressures of his own. We like him and would employ him again in a heartbeat, even if this was a punitive act. ;) I have sent subtler messages to ignorant clients once or twice myself. But, I was certainly toooo subtle. Mine never seemed to get the message. We got the message if it was deliberate. But, that's why I'm bugging you guys, to iron out any ignorance layered onto my already clear and certain ignorance. I'll not be stoning anybody today.

He shouldn't have been tasked with our job when it wasn't ready.

None of that means it doesn't continue to sting! LOL Wanna get 'er done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would you recommend a light application of complementing silicone into and on top of that joint? Or? Have you had a similar installation success? Thanks for your great illustration.
I should say, that I have access to the back side of that wall to add sealant if I wish, but only the waterwall side. The opposite wall is a finished room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Durock is half inch, so can't you just use half inch sheetrock, there you can just use regular sheetrock, mesh joint tape and setting compound? Setting compound is bit more water resistant and that joint seems to be far enough away from the wet area. Extra insurance would be to coat the edge of the sheetrock with redguard.
This would be ideal. I was hoping for some reassurance in that direction, especially with regard to the mesh tape. Do you think trying to carefully 'feed' (with any super thin feeler gauge like tool and copious caution) is worth a try or probably a waste of time and not worth a risk of disturbing (fully cured) tile set? I am doubting I can force much, if any, setting compound into the space.

I appreciate the redguard idea if I can get a small quantity purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This would be ideal. I was hoping for some reassurance in that direction, especially with regard to the mesh tape. Do you think trying to carefully 'feed' (with any super thin feeler gauge like tool and copious caution) is worth a try or probably a waste of time and not worth a risk of disturbing (fully cured) tile set? I am doubting I can force much, if any, setting compound into the space.

I appreciate the redguard idea if I can get a small quantity purchase.
I was trying to find 5/8" green board, but I can use shims to make 1/2" work. The tile is elevated off plane in general at least 5/8" everywhere. But, if the walls weren't so out of square, etc. it would have been half inch as you say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.