DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My house came with a simple alarm (1 motion detector) that I've never used and I'm moving so I thought it would be smart to get it up and running.

It's a paradox 1728ex. I've looked on their website but can't find the answer (probably because it's so simple any basic installer would know!)

There's a simple box on the wall, and instead of being hard wired, it's got a small transformer (plug), but I need to attach the wires to it.

I'm including pictures, but my basic question is, where does the ground go? Does it matter which wires go where on the plug?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They want to charge me for help...

Seems like a simple thing with the plug, no? Can I just ground it?

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Is there an alarm company that works in your area maybe someone local will be of more help.

It may be it's not used or you have to ground that at the outlet and connect the other end to the alarms case.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Can you post a better picture of the terminal strip? That far away shows nothing of where the wires go where. Also, that transformer laying on the ground, does it go with that panel?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Either read through the manual, specifically around page 39, or post a better picture of the terminal strip in the panel. The transformer and sketchy wiring pictures do nothing, but make me go "Wow, what is that supposed to be."

Here is a clue, look to the left of the terminal strip. Those are the Cat-3 for the transformer. Also, it does not matter what side of the transformer the wire goes to, but does matter if you connect the transformer to the wrong wire or wire points on the terminal strip. Bet if you read through that manual, you can figure it out from there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything at the terminal is fine, and untouched by me.

It was all wired by a pro.

I just need to get it connected to power (wires to that transformer and plug it in).

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Am I seeing correct that the 4 wires are going to only 2 of the terminals? The wall wart is AC output so it doesn't matter how you connect the wires polarity wise. If the wires are only going to 2 terminals just pair up the two colors on each terminal and connect to the transformer. They paired the wire for current or just to make things look neater.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes, just connect the 2 AC connections to the 2 connections on the transformer. There is no ground.

Then those alarm panels need a battery. Read the installation manual about connecting a battery, how to do it, and what type of battery is needed.

You can buy alarm batteries from some alarm companies.

The battery may be needed as part of the power supply to give the electronics a "clean" DC voltage. It may not function very well without a battery!

Alarms will many times have separate instruction manuals...

-Home owner operation manual.
-Installation manual.
-Programming manual.
-Additional manuals for add-on devices, motion detectors, smoke detectors, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all... Got the plug wired, and I think the battery is dead. I'll head out and find a battery.

Does anyone even want an update on this?

Lol

Thanks all...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I'll find a new battery (I do have the old one for reference) and finish this thread up letting everyone know how it went.

Thanks all.

This board is great for new DIY'ers like me. I've enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of others, all good learning.

Take care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts