DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been a long time looked and user of all your information, but this is my first time posting. A little while ago I purchased an old bunks airless sprayer, the guy I got it from said he hadnt used it in a year but that it worked fine last time he did. I decided to use it last weekend, I plugged it in and the motor started pumping, when I squeeze the trigger, the paint comes out with force and mostly in a straight line. I've tried playing with the pressure regulater but that only reduces the pressure at which it sprayed in a straight line, no fan pattern at all. Also after holding the trigger for probably five seconds the pressure gets so low that the paint just dribbles out. So I'm curious where I should start and what I can look for?? Thanks alot guys

·
Jack of all trades
74 Posts
I am not familiar with that brand. My my campball Hausfield has a lever by the spray nozzle that rotates the nozzel 180 dgrees to clean it out. when it is rotated it sprays a straight stream. and if the presure is set to high it will lose pressure in that mode as you spray. When it was cleaned last it may have been left in that position. Also depending on what and how well it was cleaned the last time it was used. When I am done with mine and cleaned it with water for water based paint I finish by running mineral spirits thru it. Once i have no residure of paint coming out I spray into the supply bucket of mineral spirits and recirculate the mineral spirits around for 5 minutes or so. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks the reply, I don't see a lever. But I'm wondering if the nozell could be turned manually or something, it seems to spin with a screwdriver, The sPray gun is a Titan lx-80 If that helps anyone?? Thanks alot

·
Registered
93 Posts
well the lx-80 is a very decent entry shooter

the gun ( silver part ) has a threaded end with a guard ( black plastic) and a tip (red thingy).. if the tip is turned w the arrow pointing toward the USER the material will shoot out in a straight manner.. arrow pointed at WORK will shoot the fan.

if you dont have a tip in it will shoot straight as well...

the sprayer runnin out of juice after 5 minutes is pretty normal for a continuous squeeze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good lord I feel like an idiot right now, I found the problem. There is no paint tip installed. I had no idea what it was supposed to look like, all ive ever used was the Wagner type guns and compressed air guns ( used to be a professional auto painter). Well looks like I can get tips at home depot just not sure if try stock them at my local one, they have a while gun in stock maybe I'll go that way at least then I know it's good. Thanks a whole bunch guys youve saved me again

·
Registered
93 Posts
before you go buying tips look at the stuff your shooting and get the tip ranges first.. nothing worse then shooting product thats too heavy thou a small hole or too light throu a big hole..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a chart online, I'll be using a cheap interior paint, any recommendations? It does seem fairly thick in consistency

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
I found a chart online, I'll be using a cheap interior paint, any recommendations? It does seem fairly thick in consistency
For a latex usually an orifice of 013-019 works. Depends on the size of the fan you want too and what you will be applying the paint to. The last two numbers are the orifice size and the first is doubled and that's the fan width. If your spraying ceilings and walls and are not that experienced a 515 would be good. The tip size also depend on your sprayer some smaller sprayer will only support up to a 015 orifice and larger ones will support larger orifice such as 021 for block filler and real thick material

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
HPG NY, has some good advise above. it seems that the 5:15 is a good tip size for most coatings. some paint cans/all product data sheets will give you a recommended tip size,pressure and thinning requirements for spraying. im not trying to beat on the OP but my concern is the lack of expeirence of some people using an airless sprayer. these are under high pressure and can be dangerous.
http://www.coatingspromag.com/articles/injection-injuries-liquid-bullets.aspx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand your concern, I'm well aware of the high-pressures and dangers though, I work with high Pressure systems frequently and am conscience of the dangers of high pressure wounds. That being said, I do appreciate the concern! And thanks for all the help guys it's really appreciated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts