DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, wondered if anyone has any experience in repairing their airey house, you know those ugly ex-council houses with grey pebbledashed slab exteriors. also looking to find people who bought their house from council to later discover they had been sold a defective dwelling/home when they tried to sell it, any advice or info greatly apreciated:)

·
Registered
721 Posts
The external walls, which are PRC concrete columns and slabs need to be demolished and replaced with brick/block cavity walls. Without this work being carried out they remain on the designated defective list and lenders won't touch them. I've never actually worked on a Airey house, but have worked on a Cornish and the cost was about £30,000. On a Cornish the PRC walls are only on the ground floor, so an Airey will be more expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Airey information

One of the few companies left that repair aireys, woolaways, unity etc
is landmarkprc.co.uk. There are not many companies left that do this. It was quite hard to track down such construction firms. They always give out 60 year guarantees on such repairs so your new repaired x-prefab house is mortgageable.

I've had my unity house done recently so in all they did a decent job worth looking into if you want a prefab converted into a mortgageable home.

If you look here you can see an Airey being repaired very interesting to watch.

http://landmarkprc.co.uk/index.php/Airey-PRC-House.html

Should find more information on that page as well regarding Airey houses.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts