DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A couple years ago, I bought some magnet air vent covers but they didn’t work well. I had put them inside of my vent instead (I know... I shouldn’t have because of backflow possibly damaging my unit. I know now).

I took them off sometime a few years back and noticed the magnet/plastic was ripped?melted?

I can’t remember exactly. I stupidly just put the vent cover back on but this year I took it off again and noticed the black goo.

Texture is like... rubbery? gum? a little sticky?

I am not sure if this is melted plastic/magnet or if this is some goo that helps the magnet stick because there’s also black goo on my screws ... and I don’t remember the screw being near the magnet.. so I’m just wondering if this goo is normal to help the vent stick on my ceiling or if I’ve been breathing melted plastic the past two years every winter.

Heater stopped maybe 5 hours ago this morning. Goo is still a bit sticky/not solid yet.

If it is plastic/magnet, how should I fix this? Rip off the aluminum and buy new aluminum tape(?) and put it on?
Can heater heat even melt plastic/magnet like this?

I just opened 2 other ceiling vents in my house. 1 didn't have any black goo at all. Another had some black goo on the screw and VERY VERY little black goo that looked like the backside of the aluminum tape. But in my room, the tape wasn't flipped or anything like the other room so I'm not sure how it could have spread like that... But the texture is the same....

Judging from the same texture and the fact that the "plastic" didn't solidify again after 5+ hours, I'm going to just assume its from the tape as well in my room or some sticky substance on purpose and leave it be......? Hopefully I'm not inhaling melted plastic....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
41,421 Posts
Looks like the adhesive of the hard cast tape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the adhesive of the hard cast tape.
On picture two, it looks like the black stuff is on the foil side instead of the adhesive side of the foil. I don't really feel/see any tears either. Is this normal? Its safe?

if it is safe, then hopefully its that and not melted plastic/rubber stuff from the magnet strips..
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
41,421 Posts
In the pics, it looks like its the adhesive bleeding through. Have you tried cleaning it off, to confirm.

While I don't believe it is anything to be concerned about. I can't be positive just from the pics.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top