DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air handler was blowing warm air. Changed fuses and capacitor- (on outside unit) everything seemed to be working nicely. - for a little while-

Now neither outside nor inside turns on, I took cover off handler and led flashes continuously meaning polarity reversed.

flipped C wires on capacitor even re-installed old (bad capacitor) but no luck Air handler not turning on..

what do I do?

·
Experienced
2,970 Posts
Welcome ezhomeowner, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

In order for anyone to help you diagnos your situation you will need to post a model number(s) of the unit you are referring to.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Payne PG9MAA024060* Furnace

This is the air handler. It is in the attic, the compressor is out side. I changed the capacitor. took old one to supply store and they gave me new one., New one is oval so I could not strap it in so I let it sit on the floor. It still looks perfect but now my air handler stopped working.

Specs

Brand: Payne
Manufacturer: CARRIER CORPORATION
Model Number: PG9MAA024060*
Fuel: Liquefied Petroleum Gases and Natural Gas
Input Capacity: 60,000 BTUH
Output Capacity: 56,000 BTUH
Efficiency: 91.5% AFUE
Energy Star Certified: Yes
Air Flow Configuration: Down
Electrical Phase: Single-phase
Combustion Type: Condensing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2 Short and 4 long flashes -

I went and looked again at the lights blinking and noticed that this corresponds to a code 24 meaning Secondary Voltage Fuse is Open..

Not sure how check this...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - I found the Fuse !!! -

Little 3 amp fuse... 5 for 3.50 @ the supply store...

Fuse sits on electronic board by blower... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Yuri !!

I found teh fuse and replaced it.

I guess now I gotta figure out what caused it to blow.. but it rained hard yesterday and we had a local power outage so perhaps the surge when the power cam back blew the fuse.

Thanks

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
VERY rare that happens. Carefully check the small low voltage wires going to the outdoor unit for fraying/brittle/dog or rodent chewing or deterioration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was my capacitor touching the Fan wire relay

The capacitor was oval instead of round since the supply store did not have round.

The metal casing of the "cap" knocked against the brown fan wire ( happened again) when I shut the cover after replacing the fuse and blew the fuse again.

I wrapped the case in electrical tape and used plastic ties to secure the capacitor away from the open wires ends and attach it to totally insulated wires. ( i could not use the cap strap it was just to small for oval)

This seems to be working...

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts