DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice with the following situation.
I have a recently remodeled house with a full basement and a second story. I live in the upper mid-west with extremely cold temperatures. Last winter we had excessive moisture due to how tight our home is after the remodel. I installed an ERV to help attenuate and bring in fresh air.
Presently have slightly elevated radon levels. We have vents in the finished basement (it has well foamed walls for insulation) but not cold air return.
I am wondering if the ERV can be used like a radon abatement pump by placing a cold air return in the basement. Would that improve radon levels? Am I making it worse by running the furnace fan all the time without an intake in the basement?
I appreciate any thoughts/help.
Jeremy

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Radon usually requires removing it at the source which is under the slab. Most setups I see they drill a hole under it and put a exhaust fan in.

Have never heard of a ERV helping remove Radon. If it is unbalanced it can create a negative pressure in the house and suck in Radon thru cracks in the slab etc.

The ERV should be balanced according to the manufacturers specs.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
radon is removed from under the slab ..before it enters the home ..via radon pump.....as yuri said you would not want to pull it into the basement through the cracks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts