DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nope. Either the fan itself has quit, you have a loose connection or perhaps the capacitor has gone bad. The compressor is seperate from the condensing fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Missouri Bound, I cooled the fan motor off. It started again. I did replace the fan motor a year ago with a generic motor; it worked perfectly all year last year. Guess the AC worked around the clock (it's hot in Tampa now) and the motor got overheated. This is an old unit.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Does that motor have a thermal overload? An air over motor generally doesn't have one. Consider ordering the correct motor for the unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well turns out the capacitor was bad. When I installed the generic fan motor a year ago I had to cut off a portion of the shaft to make it fit under the hood sort of speak. I used a reciprocal saw to do the job which may have shifted the bearings around a bit and created some sort of electrical distortion according to Joe, an electrical whiz at Grainger. His recommendation for the future was to power up the motor so the shaft would be turning and then applying the cutting blade to the shaft thereby avoiding messing up the works inside the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts