DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Air Conditioner Limping Along

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  operagost 
#1 ·
It is currently 9:15 PM and my house is still 84 degrees and my wife is giving me the stink eye as she has an ice pack on her head to cool down.

It has been quite hot here lately and my AC just isn't getting my house cooler than the mid-80's. I've done everything I can: filters are clean, duct connections are secure, vents are open, condensor coils are clean (I have pics before I cleaned it and it already looked fairly clean), and outside unit is clean and clear of any debris.

My AC unit is Rheem and I have no idea how old it is but it looks like it could easily be 20 years old and I wouldn't be surprised if it is 30 years old. We bought this home three years ago and have no knowledge of what if any work has been done to the unit prior to us owning it. My house is only 1380 square feet and it has plenty of insulation in the attic.

So, is it time to throw in the towel and call a pro? I hate the sound of that :(

Here is the model number on cooling coils and a few pictures of the coils. It is too dark to take a picture of the outside unit.

See less See more
#3 ·
I didn't pull the coils all the way out, so I can't tell if they are clean underneath.

I also checked my temperature at the vents and it is a chilly 48 degrees (I used a digital meat thermometer). You'd think with air that cold, the house would be an ice box.

#5 ·
is the supply air out of the vents strong as always? if not check the round fins on the squirrel cage within the furnace..coil looks clean ,are you getting condensate out of the furnace drain line...check the main return air grill up in the hallway should hold a sheet of paper without sliding down...:wink: how cold is that suction insulated line coming off that coil should be like a glass of water with ice in it

#6 ·
I will have to check most of these questions when I get home this evening. However, the "squirrel cage" (which made me laugh because that's exactly what it looks like!) is clean except for a little bit of dust, but there is nothing caked on it.

There is quite a bit of water draining from my unit but it doesn't come out of the drain line because the pan is rusted through. That isn't an issue though because the unit is right next to my sump pump in my basement.

It does seem like the entire system is moving less air than it used to. I can try the paper test tonight. If it matters, my air return and my supply vents are all in the floor. I have two return vents, both take a 14x14x1 filter.

My house was originally built in the 1940's and the AC system was added after the home was built. Is it possible that the retrofit AC installation has limitations based on vent and return locations, air flow, old windows allowing too much heat in, etc.? Also, the house has been added onto (square footage-wise) twice since the 70's. Can my system be too small?

Here is the model number on the outside unit. Can anyone tell when it was installed from the numbers on the side? Serial number is the top line and model number is the second line.

#8 ·
That makes sense! I already looked at the blower to see if it was dirty (it is clean) and I also spun the wheel by hand and it moves freely. However, I didn't check the belt or anything else.

Should I start with the belt to make sure that it is in good shape? What else can I look at on the blower?

#12 ·
If the suction line was frozen your system is under charge. Don't let A/C running or the EVAP coil will be a solid ice block.

#16 ·
The AC repairman came out to diagnose my problem. He said that is was low on coolant and added some for free (besides the diagnostic fee). He did say that there was high head pressure at the compressor but he wasn't detecting any odd amp readings (he said that usually go hand-in-hand).

Long story short, he said that I am living on borrowed time with my existing 1974 air conditioner. But he also said that there is no sense in replacing it until it finally dies.

The old Rheem is older than I am and is still blowing cold air. I hope the new ones are built to last that long!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.