DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Campbell Hausfeld air compressor motor died. It's a 1.5 HP motor, 13 Gallon. I have a 3 speed HVAC motor that I could make fit. The problem is that it's 1/8, 1/7, 1/5 hp, something like that. I don't understand how the Campbell motor is half the size but 10X the HP. The unit is a wheelbarrow type with a really small compressor. I don't know what the rpm's are on the campbell motor but the other one listed 1200. I assume the slowest speed.

Without having the specs, could anyone tell me if this is do-able, or maybe explain the size hp difference. The formulas confuse me.
I can't break it anymore, but I don't want to waste time if it definitely won't work; I don't want to spend $140 on a new motor either. Any guidance is appreciated.
p.s. I hope I posted this in the correct place.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Short answer, don't waste your time. It would be like asking your Prius to tow a horse trailer you normally pull with a 3/4 ton truck.

The difference in size is due to the standards the motors are built to. That compressor motor always starts and runs under heavy load, yet still has to be built to a reasonable size to fit on the compressor.

If I were you I would do some checking around local motor shops and see if you can get a used one for a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.