1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,647 Posts
Happens all the time.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That is a tremendous look in the right house---Like Rusty said---done all the time.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Used to rescue hardwood floors from farmhouses and things being torn down. Last one I remember was beautiful antique cherry with mill date on the back from the 1800s. Quick light cut pass through the planer evened things out. Nailed it down, sanded, stained and finished. Gorgeous.

You want to make sure most of your tongue and groove scheme is still intact though or you are in for problems. And make sure it has not been sanded to the point you will have trouble sanding again or nailing it.

If you want to see some spectacular floors, search for some of the recycled exotic hardwoods. Zebrawood, wood from Indonesia, etc. There are also companies that recycle hardwood shipping crates into flooring that is cool looking stuff.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sure you can do it. The question is whether you need to. Just because the floors are old does not mean that you need to use antique/reclaimed wood to repair them. If they are tongue and groove oak in generally good condition for example there is a very good chance that you can use contemporary oak and you'll never know the difference. If they are old slow growth pine then you'll need to find some reclaimed wood to match. It all depends on what you have currently.

I've always loved the floors from this outfit. I'd love to have an excuse to do my floors like this:

http://www.mountainlumber.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts