DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

AFCI/GFCI for Kitchen Applicances

2198 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  gregzoll
Renovating my kitchen and need to know what type of breakers and receptacles to use for the appliances.

In this case, refrigerator, dishwasher, gas oven, range hood, microwave.

According to code, every breaker should be AFCI and that is what I planned but I wanted to be sure.

For the outlets i wasn't sure if I needed GFCI or non GFCI outlets.

1 - 3 of 6 Posts
Receptacles need to be GFCI protected. This can be done using breakers or receptacles. You might want to look into GFCI/AFCI breakers if they are available for your panel. What NEC code cycle is your area using?
I am unsure about the specific NEC Code followed by my town now, but the last time I had the town inspect an upgrade they used the 2008 version which required AFCI breakers for all new installs.

So for the combo AFCI/GFCI breaker (found this one for my Eaton panel:, does this mean i can install normal TR outlets at each spot in the circuit?


Since I already bought the GFCI outlets and AFCI breakers, I will just stick with them. it is probably overkill but it only helps in the end.

1 - 3 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.