DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. Did I mention how much I loooove EMT metal conduit? That's perfect stuff for that kind of high-standard work.
Something tells me you're being sarcastic... but then also sincere?😂
100% sincere. When someone wants to do their electrical work a cut above the run-of-the-mill builder-grade practices, EMT is top of my list. Aside from absolutely superlative fault containment (will never, ever, ever start a fire), its rework ability is marvelous. It means you don't need to anticipate electrical needs since you can just rearrange on the fly as needed.

If it's 2005 and you're putting in a switch loop and going "should I put a neutral in this to accommodate emerging smart switches?" You don't need to think about that because you can just change what's in the pipe. I recently had someone say their wire looked very old and they wanted to replace it, but didn't want to bust open walls... they were in EMT. Easy peasy.

Want fast network but don't want to bust open walls? Fiber in the EMT. Done. Because fiber is allowed in the pipe with power conductors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
100% sincere.
I luuurv conduit as well. That is, I lurv the flexibility it affords. When I build my dream home: Conduit everywhere.

a cut above the run-of-the-mill builder-grade practices
Sadly, on our budget, conduit is a cut waaaaaaaaay above builder-grade, so sheathed wire it is.
Conduit is but a pipe dream. GET IT? PIPE?

I know I was talking some sh!t a few posts back but in reality I'll be ecstatic if the GC's's EC manages a tidy job wiring the panel.

The small upshot is that since I'm doing all the LV work I'll probably run a few lengths of flex tube as I outlined in my last post.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts