DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
What I'm saying is if you place an AFCI outlet beside the panel on a short conduit nipple it can save you the aggravation and expense of running metallic wiring to the first planned outlet.
Highly endorsed! I favor the 120mm (that's 4-11/16" to you Canadians ;) ) square deep box with a 2-gang mud ring or domed cover. (The 4x4" box is a mistake, it's way too crammed by the time you get dual DFCI receptacles + wires all in there. Make life easy on yourself.)

You can even install a stack of boxes maybe 1/4" apart with EMT short connectors - just far enough apart the lids don't interfere. (made that mistake lol). Note that very short EMT pipes do not have a 4-circuit limit, so you only face wire fill limits (3/4" EMT: twenty-two #14 wires or sixteen #12 wires). And EMT handles ground for you, so don't need those wires!

In Canada you're not allowed to splice inside a service panel, so you'd have to re-route the circuit to start at the junction box where the AFCI deadfront or receptacle would be. Terminate the ground at the metal box ground screw(s) and let the EMT take it from there.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. Did I mention how much I loooove EMT metal conduit? That's perfect stuff for that kind of high-standard work.

Even if you use Romex for the electrical, I'd throw some conduit (not necessarily EMT) in there for the telecom/networking.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. Did I mention how much I loooove EMT metal conduit? That's perfect stuff for that kind of high-standard work.
Something tells me you're being sarcastic... but then also sincere?😂
100% sincere. When someone wants to do their electrical work a cut above the run-of-the-mill builder-grade practices, EMT is top of my list. Aside from absolutely superlative fault containment (will never, ever, ever start a fire), its rework ability is marvelous. It means you don't need to anticipate electrical needs since you can just rearrange on the fly as needed.

If it's 2005 and you're putting in a switch loop and going "should I put a neutral in this to accommodate emerging smart switches?" You don't need to think about that because you can just change what's in the pipe. I recently had someone say their wire looked very old and they wanted to replace it, but didn't want to bust open walls... they were in EMT. Easy peasy.

Want fast network but don't want to bust open walls? Fiber in the EMT. Done. Because fiber is allowed in the pipe with power conductors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts