DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am remodeling the bathroom and tore the tub/shower out and plan to replace with a tub and tile shower. Under the old tub was some sort of wood support. Do I need to replace with something similar?

Attachments

·
Naildriver
15,594 Posts
Agree. Tear everything out. Get a clean slate to work with and post pictures once it is cleaned up. That way we can give better direction. The tub was probably sitting on a bed of squished thinset, which will make taking up the bottom of the tub a real task.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I wish to second cleaning everything out of there and post new photos.

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
I see...the plywood was part of the tub structure, sandwiched by a layer of composite below and the "wear layer" of composite above?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree. Tear everything out. Get a clean slate to work with and post pictures once it is cleaned up. That way we can give better direction. The tub was probably sitting on a bed of squished thinset, which will make taking up the bottom of the tub a real task.
Okay, I am tearing it all out. I get what you mean that it was the underlayment stuck to the thinset. Yeah, not looking forward to tearing it out but it's on my list this weekend! I'll report back with new pictures soon. Thank you for all of the comments!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bottom of the tub was actually much easier to remove than I anticipated. I've got it all cleaned out. Subflooring seems like it's in good shape except a couple of points. What would you guys do next?

Attachments

·
Naildriver
15,594 Posts
Insulate your walls well, and determine if your new tub/shower will need any support under it. Showing us a picture or link of the tub bottom may help. Sometimes you will need to put dollops of thinset under the tub body to add that support. Some come with really adequate support.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Insulate your walls well, and determine if your new tub/shower will need any support under it. Showing us a picture or link of the tub bottom may help. Sometimes you will need to put dollops of thinset under the tub body to add that support. Some come with really adequate support.
Got it. I reused the old insulation and definitely need more. I will do that and then pick up the new tub and report back. Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts