DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Looking for recommendations for a wood floor in a house I'm renovating to be an AirBnB. Before we get too detailed, understand that this house is large (3k sq ft) and on stilts in the woods, right off a river in WV. I've already sunk a lot of money into the renovation (new HVAC, insulation, drywall, electric, plumbing, etc.) It has wood floors throughout. They are pretty rough but solid. Sizeable gaps between boards. I'm not concerned with making these look perfect. Actually we're going with a mix of rustic and modern elements throughout the house. I'm fine with a worn floor with character. Also don't want a super glossy floor. I'm looking for advice on what to do with them. Should I sand them? Should I just oil them? Lacquer? Whatever I do, I'll be doing it myself. Looking for guidance on an inexpensive path that will highlight the character of these floors. Please have a look at the picture.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I would sand them and put on a low gloss finish in natural color. Stained dark they would show dust every day, that is why I would go light. No filler in the cracks, just leave them. Filler will probably pop out in hot sticky weather anyway. Use urethane, it can be screened and recoated as wear and tear wear occurs. Solvent based is a little amber colored, water based is more like the natural sanded color. Both are good. Pic looks like pine, they will be spectacular sanded and finished.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Old Thomas. That's exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on sanding? Drum or random orbital? What grit? Any advice here would be appreciated. I've done a lot of house stuff, but never sanded a floor.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Your not going to follow my advice, but I would hire the refinishing out.
There going to be able to do it faster, less dust clean up, have it come out better and cost less then you trying to figure out how to do it, go rent what you think you need, and buy all the materials to do it.
PS, all that sheet rock work, finishing, priming and painting needs to be done before the floors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joecaption, I'm definitely going to plan on getting some quotes. But help in this rural area tends to not be the highest quality and very expensive. I'm not above hiring out. But it might come down to what I can and can't spend. All the drywall is done and I'm finishing up the painting now.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I, too, would hire it out. One pause with a sander will cause permanent damage. I did mine in 1985 but hired it out in 2018. That said, a drum sander will make quick work of it and will flatten the boards. It is what most pros use. And finish doesn’t go on with a brush. It uses a t-bar applicator. A puddle is “snow plowed” across the floor and back, essentially flooding the floor. Usually the sandpaper goes from 40 or 50 grit to 80 to 100. Sometimes it is 2 steps and sometimes 3. I have done oak but not pine. That is where a pro will have knowledge. My cousin was referred to a father son company by a flooring supplier then my cousin referred them to us.

·
Retired Moderator
14,710 Posts
I agree that looks more like pine instead of oak. If it is pine, expect to use way more sand paper/disks as the pine will load the sanding material up fast. That is going to be one beautiful floor though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would agree with hiring it out,there's a bit of cuttin on them floors!
3k sf is a substantial area to get right.Would be inclined to go with 3 coats of satin oil based polyurethane on it for a natural low lustred oiled look. 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.