DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a first time homeowner and haven't tackled any drywall stuff until now. I just patched a hole in my wall with a piece I cut out, then taped and mudded the seams, so I understand some basics, but nothing advanced. I have been repairing some corner beads as well.

I have an issue though that I need some advice on: my master bedroom is a pseudo-vaulted ceiling; imagine a vaulted ceiling with the top chopped off. the top is flat, but the sides slant up to the flat section. the transition between the angled part of the ceiling with the flat parts are filleted. Those transitions are cracked along almost the entire length on both sides (along the fillet length wise). I chipped out the loose mud and attempted to refill with all purpose compound, but the cracks reappeared after around a week.

It appears the previous owner patched the area, so it seems like there is some underlying issue. The ceiling in the bedroom makes a lot of noise during the day, like expanding/contracting pops. When I push on the ceiling right next to the fillets, it moves around 1/8" upward as if it's not fastened tightly to the framing. I have no attic access in this room, unfortunately.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
The ceiling drywall is supposed to 'float' so the framing can expand and contract without lifting the drywall---

You need to remove the tape and retape the joint using Straight Flex tape--set it in Multipurpose----then top with more of the same or powdered EasySand----then top with Light weight ---

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ceiling drywall is supposed to 'float' so the framing can expand and contract without lifting the drywall---

You need to remove the tape and retape the joint using Straight Flex tape--set it in Multipurpose----then top with more of the same or powdered EasySand----then top with Light weight ---
Thanks for your help. It seems like I had to chip out between 1/8-1/4" of mud to get down to what looks like paper tape underneath. Does that seem normal? Also, how wide of a trench would you chip out? The width of the tape? What a pain!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts