DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm attempting to paint two new Therma-tru fiberglass doors that came factory primed. I'm using Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior bright white gloss finish and a 4" foam roller. I'm finding that the rolled sections are coming out patchy and dry (not glossy,) almost like the door itself isn't flat enough or the roller is skipping a bit. I'm wondering if it's been hot and humid this weekend (painting doors laying flat in the garage.) Should I switch to something like a 1/4" nap roller for the next coat?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi all,

I'm attempting to paint two new Therma-tru fiberglass doors that came factory primed. I'm using Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior bright white gloss finish and a 4" foam roller. I'm finding that the rolled sections are coming out patchy and dry (not glossy,) almost like the door itself isn't flat enough or the roller is skipping a bit. I'm wondering if it's been hot and humid this weekend (painting doors laying flat in the garage.) Should I switch to something like a 1/4" nap roller for the next coat?
My guess is that the 'patchy' look is simply 'flashing', the higher the shine, the more likely it is, but it can happen with even a 'matte' finish. It is simply the surface sucking in the paint 'more' in certain spots, which makes them look flatter. ...... This will disappear with each new coat. Hopefully it will only take two for you, but it is normal.

Also, roll it on and leave it alone. Don't keep rolling each coat trying to make it look better, you just make matters worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.