DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a house with a 4 season deck/porch which is 6' off the ground. The floor is plywood. I've since enclosed that and will use it as a playroom for the kids at some point.

What I am doing now is enclosing beneath it for storage, tools...etc.
I've poured a 2' deep footer around it, leaving an opening for a door and have framed out the walls. I may or may not insulate the walls.

For the floor, I have dug down about 6 inches, dumped some gravel as a base and am about to lay 4x4 pressure treated and 3/4" plywood for the floor.
My questions are these as I want to avoid any moisture getting in and rusting out the tools as well as keeping the floor about as warm as possible.

Do I need any kind of insulation under the 3/4" plywood and/or a vapor barrier on top of the gravel?
I was thinking of installing Roxul insulation between the joists under the deck floor.

Please advise.

Thanks,
bgg

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
None of that sounds right.
Can you post some pictures?
4 X 4's are going to twist and curl.
Plywood will rot out that close to grade.
Should have been a stem wall grade dug out deeper vapor barrier laid then a slab pored.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A slab would be ideal but a cement truck cannot get back there and mixing over 80 80# bags of cement is too much.

How is this application much different than a stand alone shed?

So how about a vapor barrier, 2" compacted gravel base, the 4x4 tied together and pressure treated plywood or skip the pressure treated and lay down some 1", 12 x 12 or 16 x 16 flat stone?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Doesn't matter where the truck can or can't go. Concrete can be pumped to wherever it's needed.

I agree with joecaption; nothing you describe is done right. Knowing your location would help with correct advice.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
This is just a tool storage area in a crawl space. I think you would be fine with the compacted gravel, a vapor barrier and then laying down the cheap 12" or 16" concrete squares that available about anywhere.

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
Not a great idea for a floor. Wood wouldn't even be on my list of choices. If it were me, I'd do a concrete rat slab. If concrete wasn't an option, I'd do vapor barrier, sand, and pavers. But be prepared for insects and moisture. And you'd better incorporate a means of ventilating the tool storage space, or you're going to see problems.

And I have to ask the question. Did you get permits or zoning involved when you converted the porch or started this project? Any home inspector worth his salt would call that work out, and recommend that the buyer provide copies of the permit and zoning documents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All,

Thank you all for the advice.

Location is Northeast.

Building inspector said that, because the 3 footings that are currently holding up the deck were below the frost line, 2 feet deep footers were fine since they wouldn't be supporting any of the weight and they are tied into the foundation and the 3 footers with rebar.

Not sure what to do with the floor. I'll ask the BI.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.