DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a knack of causing my own problems.* we have this 'wind vane' gadget we bought at a flower show.

I've replaced the bearings a few times over the years.

This last time, I was pushing the bearing out and (my mistake) not using something with the diameter to push on the outer ring of the bearing.* The inner ring, balls, etc came out.* And now i have that outer ring stuck in there.* I tried prying it out / getting under it from the back but there's not enough room.

I guess I need a gadget that expands a bit to grab the inner surface and then pull that out?

Do you know what that looks like / is called?

The picture is a new bearing and my hand (to give size perspective) and the race with the outer part of the old bearing stuck in there.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
One way of a few would be drill 3 approximately equidistant holes in alignment with the race in that portion that's preventing you from driving the race out. An eighth inch or maybe 3/16", then with a pin punch you'll have 3 drive points. A blunted nail may work as a punch. Or make 3 notches in that thin portion with the edge of a file to allow driving access.

EDIT: EDIT:

·
Registered
258 Posts
rough rooster - can I just heat mostly the remains of the bearing with a plumber propane torch, then cold water? think that'll work? I don't have welding equipment.
Might work. I depend on the shrinking of the weld material.
You could try heating the wheel hub while unit is upside down and the race just might fall out.
I have heated aluminum motorcycle hubs to 400*F and dumped out the steel bearings. Thermal expansion coefficient differences of the metals makes this method work.

RR :smile::smile:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don't know for sure, but those are pretty cheap bearings, I doubt anywhere near as hard as others, so would probably be inclined to grab a drift and hammer and see if I couldn't knick it enough coming through from the back side to create a dimple to get it started.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
being a noob - you guys talk of the race... that's the cup that the bearing sits in? Or the outer part of the bearing.. thinking now - it's the latter / my original title of this post is wrong?
You have the inner / outer race. and the cup the bearing goes in - what's that called?

Yeah, I'm going to harbor freight now : )

I am thinking - i got these bearings off amazon at a low price. But the metal still might be strong to grind through. But gotta do it.

THANKS! and have a good weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.