DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I plan to install backsplash for my kitchen. The area behind the sink/faucet has molding to hide the gap between the wall and the upper bar counter. Well I removed the molding (because I want the backsplash to go all the way up to the upper bar counter). But once I remove the molding I realize that the gap is bigger than I thought. I am curious as to how you guys would handle this.

Should I just apply drywall compound there or should I wedge a thin piece of wood in there and then apply drywall compound? keep in mind that a layer of thinset mortar will go on top of this.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I see no reason to fill that gap.
Tiles going to have to have a gap anyway where it meets the counter top and caulked.
That drywall though is a mess, if it was mine I'd be cutting it out and replacing, far less work and money then having to seal it, skim coating three times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Joe. When the countertop guy remove the old 4" backsplash, they messed the drywall up pretty good. How do you suggest I remove the drywall section? Just saw it along the countertop lines and screw in the new piece of drywall?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.