DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of repainting my house and I am changing the colors. The body coat is going on fine, but I'm having some problems with the trim paint. I am using a dark green color with a hint of blue called 'Plankton' (Kwal) and its coming out much lighter then it should be. They told me when I bought the paint that I green does not cover well and sugested a grey primer but that doesn't seem to help much (trim is getting sprayed the body color for an extra coat). I'm just doing a small test area now and it seems that after 3-4 coats it looks right but there are still some light spots.

My question is, would going to a dark grey primer help or is it just going to take a lot of coats to get this color right? I'd rather not put it on heavy coats, but the prospect of doing 4-5 coats on all the trim seems like a lot of work.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Greg

·
Registered
70 Posts
What kind of paint are you using??
A deeper color primer would always help if you are changing white trim to a darker color but in reality should be uneccessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kwal exterior latex, Satin finish. Trim is currently light blue. I go some primer with a quarter mix of the trim color but that's not helping any. May contact the store and see if they can just raise it to the full formula.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts