DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, who wants to tackle this one with me?

Wood Fixture Rectangle Gas Composite material

I've got a metal door jamb and a wood door. The top hinge has broken off of the door, and the middle hinge is on its way out, too. The screws in the hinges are extremely rusted (they've been exposed to salty ocean air for decades) and the screw heads are more or less crumbling when I try to get a screwdriver on there.

I basically want to do as little as possible to make the door and hinges functional again.

Do you think it's possible to just replace the old screws with new ones? If so, how do I extract a rusted, broken screw stuck in a metal frame?

If extracting the screws is not an option, what would my next steps be?

What tools should I be looking for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Have to agree, looks like that whole frame is shot.
If you ordered a new fiberglass prehung door, with PVC jambs, and solid brass hinges, adjustable threshold, all those old issues would go away.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I agree that it's replacement time and that repair is a bandaid (a very poor bandaid).

What you are showing is the landlord's responsibility. It might be a lease breaker; if you decide you might want out, seek legal advice. If you attempt repairs, the landlord could say your unauthorized attempts made repair impossible and charge you for a new door/frame.

If it isn't spelled out, signed and dated, it was never agreed to. Specifics can be important.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,065 Posts
You have two choices if you are looking for least work.

Remove the door and use penetrating oil (NOT WD40) and vice grips and remove the screws. This may or may not work. Depends on how much effort you put it.
Option 2 locate the same size hinge with a different screw pattern. Grind off the old screws and locate and drill for the new pattern. ONLY USE Stainless screws, Brass is to soft.
These ideas are predicated on the concept that the jamb still has some meat left in the hinge location. You may find as you get into this you need to replace the jamb.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Non-template hinges are better for wood doors and frames since the the two screws closest to each other are not in line. The hinge shown in posr #1 is a template hinge, used on metal doors and frames. So all brands of hinges will fit all brands of metal doors and frames.
Rectangle Nickel Cylinder Font Machine

Based on the hinge bracket in the frame, I would say the frame is aluminum. Aluminum hardware was very popular near seacoasts in the 50s and 60s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.