DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

I'm just about done tearing up the nasty stick on carpet and peel n stick laminate in my basement.
I am very happy with how the concrete is looking underneath!

What would you all recommend for flooring to go directly on the concrete?
I have a bar in one area and plan on putting a pool table in the center of the space.

The concrete seems pretty level, but if it isn't is there a recommended product to level it? Or which flooring is the best for slightly unlevel sub-floor?

Thanks in advance!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,242 Posts
BAMBOO with the proper foam underlayment.

A bit expensive, but it will wear well, and with the pool table it will get a lot of traffic, at least in my place it would. :devil3: NYUK: NYUK.

ED

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input!
I did some looking into underlayments and there are so many to choose from.
What is the best for Bamboo on Concrete? Home Depot List

Also, is it best to let the bamboo float over the concrete on top of the underlayment?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,242 Posts
You're right, there is a lot listed there.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendations, on both the underlayment, and the gap spacing at the walls.

That way if it gets wore badly before any warranty is over, they cannot say that poor installation was the fault.

And I would pick a mid priced underlayment, the cheap stuff is probably garbage, and the most expensive, you are buying a NAME not a product.

ED

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the input!
I did some looking into underlayments and there are so many to choose from.
What is the best for Bamboo on Concrete? Home Depot List

Also, is it best to let the bamboo float over the concrete on top of the underlayment?
I've used that Roberts black jack stuff for all 5 times I've installed floating click lock.

The first time was for my mother in law so my wife ordered the underlayment when she ordered the floor. It worked great.

Me, being the superstitious fella that I am, decided to use it on the subsequent 4 paid jobs. I didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Last time was a bit of a pain in the neck as the floor person couldn't get the skew to work so she had to call the manufacturer Roberts and get the real skew. Returning a roll was even more fun.

I'm not saying it's the best because it's all I used. But it worked and the price was moderate. The reviews where good too, if I remember correctly. The lady at HD even suggested something else but it was like double and would cost me an additional $500.

You should double check to see if you need to consider any possible moisture issues. I don't recall off hand if this stuff is suitable for below grade.

I've never been a fan of "fake" or "engineered" wood floors but after doing the mother in laws and subsequent jobs, I'm sold. I may even do it in my vintage Chicago condo. The price is right and it's easy to install. It will have the added advantage of shutting my neighbor up about me walking around at night.

This is bamboo click lock going in over old hardwood with the foam underlayment.

Then mom's hand scraped maple with same. We talked her in to new baseboards then had to buy taller registers. She thought we were crazy - white baseboards? I don't know. Now she loves them

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used that Roberts black jack stuff for all 5 times I've installed floating click lock.

The first time was for my mother in law so my wife ordered the underlayment when she ordered the floor. It worked great.

Me, being the superstitious fella that I am, decided to use it on the subsequent 4 paid jobs. I didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Last time was a bit of a pain in the neck as the floor person couldn't get the skew to work so she had to call the manufacturer Roberts and get the real skew. Returning a roll was even more fun.

I'm not saying it's the best because it's all I used. But it worked and the price was moderate. The reviews where good too, if I remember correctly. The lady at HD even suggested something else but it was like double and would cost me an additional $500.

You should double check to see if you need to consider any possible moisture issues. I don't recall off hand if this stuff is suitable for below grade.

I've never been a fan of "fake" or "engineered" wood floors but after doing the mother in laws and subsequent jobs, I'm sold. I may even do it in my vintage Chicago condo. The price is right and it's easy to install. It will have the added advantage of shutting my neighbor up about me walking around at night.

This is bamboo click lock going in over old hardwood with the foam underlayment.

Then mom's hand scraped maple with same. We talked her in to new baseboards then had to buy taller registers. She thought we were crazy - white baseboards? I don't know. Now she loves them

I am looking for flooring right now for my kitchen remodel and your post caught my attention. Currently we have wood, which I am not in favor for kitchen and my husband suggested we look into bamboo. Can you tell me more about the one in the photo? Brand, color, when purchased, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go with bamboo. I had 500sq' in my kitchen and dining room. It was a stranded, carbonized and very hard. I tried scratching the samples and couldn't do it. I had issues with expansion and contracting. Causing gaps in areas, and once it was down, the dogs did manage to scratch it up a lot. Ended up replacing it with a lvt called fusion hybrid. There are other names for the same type of product. It's basically the vinyl planks glued to a laminate type core allowing it to be thick and click together just like laminate. The advantage is the core is synthetic and 100% waterproof. So the entire plank is 100% waterproof. Won't absorb water. Which, if your talking about a basement, there will be moisture, even if it comes up from the concrete. It is wearing beautiful and has a lot of texture to it. Very durable. The dogs haven't done any damage. Looks very real compared to wood with the grain and texture, and it comes in different sized single planks to make it go together and look like real wood. It came from a local flooring store. Highly recommend so far. In the one picture, the floor isn't damaged, it's the texture built into the flooring.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have moved from the bamboo idea and found out that Adura has a new LVP called Adura Max. Anyone here has experience with that? Some of it look nice, but I am not sure if it would be durable for a kitchen / living room area. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with costco 4mm reclaimed-walnut-luxury-vinyl-planks as its water proof and costs $30 for 20sqft box
yes, I put it on concrete, where 6mil black plastic film as moisture barrier is used, no anything else
let me know if you'd like to see my pics of the process and end result

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,093 Posts
You're right, there is a lot listed there.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendations, on both the underlayment, and the gap spacing at the walls.

That way if it gets wore badly before any warranty is over, they cannot say that poor installation was the fault.

And I would pick a mid priced underlayment, the cheap stuff is probably garbage, and the most expensive, you are buying a NAME not a product.

ED
Sorry, but it is always blamed on the installation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went with costco 4mm reclaimed-walnut-luxury-vinyl-planks as its water proof and costs $30 for 20sqft box
yes, I put it on concrete, where 6mil black plastic film as moisture barrier is used, no anything else
let me know if you'd like to see my pics of the process and end result
The price sounds really good. I would love to see the pictures, please.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

this is my current project of replacing carpet to vinyl planks that I DIY

let me know if any questions as I learned many things by try and errors and have some more questions to complete it

no transitions between rooms :glasses: all end to end, many contractors will do short cut by cut at and of the room and put transition on top that becomes an issues later for high traffic areas and rolling over anything (hoover, roomba)

·
Registered
219 Posts
The price sounds really good. I would love to see the pictures, please.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam
Sorry, didn't see you asked me a question.

The floors pictured above are bothe Home Depot's "Home Legend" brand. Engineered click lock.

The darker is bamboo woven strand.

The lighter is handscraped maple - Sedona I believe is the color.

Also, attached is some, I believe, Birch- which was a little too soft for my liking.

They both turned out really well. I'm partial to wood so I liked the maple a little bit better.

The bamboo looked a little too much like vinyl planks going in. But it really grew on me once the baseboards were in. I talked her in to new baseboards - the jambs and casings need to be done (later this year).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

let me know if any questions as I learned many things by try and errors and have some more questions to complete it

no transitions between rooms all end to end, many contractors will do short cut by cut at the end of the room and put transition on top that becomes an issues later for high traffic areas and rolling over anything (hoover, roomba)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello,

no transitions between rooms all end to end, many contractors will do short cut by cut at the end of the room and put transition on top that becomes an issues later for high traffic areas and rolling over anything (hoover, roomba)
That's a really good point about transitions. My buddy had his vacation home done by big orange - the labor was ridiculously cheap (subsidized by pergo). But they placed transitions EVERYWHERE. It really cheapened the look.

Fortunately/unfortunately, he had a flood insurance claim six months later so I was on site building a new kitchen while the new floor was replaced. I was able to lean on the kids to delete some of the transitions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts